Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Story Behind A News

From inquirer.net, February 8, 2008

On Friday night, fire also hit a commercial-residential area in Sta. Cruz.

Two people, including fire volunteer Alex Lopez, were injured.

The blaze, which started around 5 p.m., was put out around 8:30 p.m., fire officials said.

Among those affected by the fire included tire and car parts shops along Laguna Street in the Blumentritt area.

Fire officials said they have yet to determine what caused the fire.


---

It was in the news that evening it happened. But, I have my own version to tell after witnessing the event first hand.

































It was around 5 pm. I was riding a jeep going to SM San Lazaro when a contingent of fire trucks from Binondo appeared out of nowhere speeding across the intersection of Tayuman and Jose Abad Santos streets.

If a single fire truck's siren already sounds dreadful, imagine several of them snaking along the narrow stretch of Tayuman heading to the direction of Rizal Avenue. Their numbers meant that a fire is nearby, however since I was seated at the shaded corner of the jeep, it took me several ducking before I could see with my own eyes where the smoke is coming from.

I looked north, north east and there it was. Black smoke rising somewhere between Taft Avenue and Jose Abad Santos. The fire was just starting and from judging the smoke alone, the blaze was intense, something really combustible was burning somewhere.

When I reached Tomas Mapua, I saw flames coming from a distant house several blocks away from where my jeep was passing. I immediately got out of the vehicle to see for myself the drama that was unfolding. My Journalistic instinct started to kick in and all I had to do was to embrace the truth that I, by nature, is an uzi (usisero) myself.

I went to the fire armed only with an N70 camera. Left and right, fire men were setting up hoses in order to control the blaze. Fellow uzis were taking pictures as the fire swallows wood without impunity. These bystanders never wished to miss a part of history that was unfolding in a neighborhood known for being a Rubber Tire store alley.

I tried to get as close as I could, but the searing heat pushed me back a block away from the burning building. I saw some helpers rolling brand new tires into their half-opened storehouses. A Chinese, who was obviously a store owner sobs in a corner, worried that her four-story apartment would become cinders in the coming hours.

"Naku malapit na ang apoy," the lady said in panic. "Bumaba na kayong lahat at baka masunog pa kayo diyan!" She said loudly to her helpers.

"Huwag kayo mag-alala Maam, hangga't hindi nasusunog yung condominium katabi nung bahay, hindi kayo madadamay." I assured her.

An hour had already passed and the blaze was still far from being controlled. Much as I would like to stay, I had another important meeting to attend and to show up all greased and oily was not part of my plan. So I had to leave, being relieved that it wasn't just an ordinary off-day for me. Besides, it was getting dark, and there was a looming threat of rain just before the sun finally surrender its rays to the night.

No comments: