Saturday, February 16, 2008

Damage Control

10:30 in the evening.

The hosts started throwing free posters to the crowd below. While everyone was busy shoving each other and jumping to get the airborne posters, a teenager suddenly jerked the strap that held my N70 to my belt holder. I felt the force of his jerking and before he was able to snatch my gadget, I caught his arm and started making cusses at him. He tried to run away but he stubbornly tried to get off my grip. I knew it was him, but I felt he had company. When he ceased resisting, he raised his arm and told me "wala sa akin ang phone mo." Immediately I realized that he indeed had company. My first reaction was to back off for self preservation. These thoughts crossed my head: What if these kids get back at me? What if one of them had a weapon that he could use against me?

I tried to regain my composure amidst the spiraling confusion. Where would I seek help? Are the security guards roving? Maybe they could help me. Perhaps it's no use running after them - I can't even remember what their faces look like. When I reported it to the authorities, we returned to the crime scene in hopes that the kids were still there. The police were in full force checking out bags and jackets of those they see as a possible suspect. There were a lot of emo kids in the gig and to search them all would be a violation of their rights to have fun. It turned out that two ladies also lost their phone at the time I lost mine. Yes, it was a joint effort on the snatcher's part. I concluded that there's no use running after them anymore.

---

Philcoa, 20 minutes after the snatching happened.

I searched for a pay phone so I could call my mom and tell her that I am safe. I knew she would call me anytime soon since it was getting late. Fortunately, I found one a few steps away from a sing-along bar below the overpass. To keep her away from worrying, I told her that she could not contact me anymore. My phone had died because my battery is already empty. I told her to expect my arrival in an hour.

I hailed a taxi after I have assured her of my safety.

---

Congressional Road, 15 minutes later.

I got out of the cab at the corner of Edsa. The driver's taxi meter was overcharging me. I'm still very far from my destination and my money isn't enough to get me there. There was an ATM nearby. I withdrew 400 pesos from my ATM. Since I was racing against time, I boarded a jeep that suddenly stopped in front of me.

---

Monumento, quarter before midnight.

They could choose a better night to hold the Miss Caloocan Beauty Pageant, but instead the organizers held it this evening. Traffic along Edsa approaching the Pugad Lawin Rotunda was bad. I had to get out of the Jeep that I boarded in Congressional Road to beat my one hour deadline that I told my mom earlier. Another empty cab passed in front of me and I hailed it. Traffic was bad, but it would be much worse if I continued walking.

Tired and emotionally scarred, the realization of my phone being snatched from me had begun sinking in. Valenzuela was still 30 minutes away and I still have to reach my destination.

---

12:15 AM

"Bakit ka nandito?" He asked me, his face slightly puzzled at my sudden and unexpected arrival at his gate.

"Na-snatch phone ko. Hindi ko alam cell number mo." I replied.

As mentioned in my previous post, the one thing that binds us together is our communication. Never did I fail to inform him of my arrival at home. He does the same to me. To break it suddenly would leave him worried all night. It is our habit and to break it prematurely would leave the other sleeplessly anxious about the other's safety. So I had to do some damage control. First is to make sure my mom knows that I'm safe, even if she's not aware that I don't have my phone anymore. And second is to let my buddy know that I don't have my phone anymore and I have to get his cell number, office number, and the numbers of his sisters which I decided to keep as well in case of emergency.

This is how I run my relationship. This is why DN and Rod started calling me their "nanay."

As my mom always say; "all bases should be considered and covered. There are people who hang to your every word."

---

1 am.

Landline: Kamusta ka na po pangga? Andito na ako sa bahay. Huwag ka na po magalala ha! Tulog ka na po. I love you.


No comments: