Thursday, February 14, 2008

Phankspace (Last Part)

"Oi kumain ka na ng lunch mo?" I asked him on the phone.

"Hindi pa po... bakit?" He reluctantly answered. The street where I was walking was buzzing with activity. Sidecar drivers pass by hawking for passengers to ride their bike. A street peddler was shoving the stalk of roses he was selling to a college student and elementary pupils oblivious to the intimate occasion wore heart necklaces strapped around their tiny necks while running to cross the street. I didn't even bother to stop in a safe corner to talk to him about my proposal. What's important was to secure his approval before I ride the LRT Purple Line going to his office.

"Sabay na tayo mag-lunch. 12:30, Gary's tayo." I said. Knowing what I had in mind, he immediately assured me that he would wait for my arrival.

The short trip going to Ermita was uneventful at best. I felt indifferent to the people around me because I wasn't feeling well and I had a serious stomachache problem that pestered me the whole morning. Thoughts of illness still lingered in my head, but I tried to keep my best mood for the occasion.

After all, I called for a date which we haven't done for a very long time.

Our relationship can be considered an unconventional one. In fact, we're closer to being fuck buddies than being a couple. Nobody among my new friends and acquaintances have seen him in person. I go out at night to party or meet people without his permission. I don't know the people he hang out with or the activities he do during his free time. I didn't bother to know those things, unless I would like to stir a conflict between us.

However, despite his seemingly relaxed hold on me, our attachment to one another had never grown weak. We talk to one another every morning and before going to sleep. He goes to my place every week, usually to use my computer for his assignments. Sometimes he just goes home to sleep beside me. For the longest time we've been together, hugs and kisses remain our most valuable resource.

I arrived earlier in the restaurant. The moment I stopped walking, I saw him smiling as he approached me. His boyish charm, short semikal hair and short height had never change since we first met five years ago. Maybe the only difference now is that we're still together and we have obviously grown up. As always, I don't usually talk when he's around. That's why I always get bored when we go out. I don't know where I got such attitude, but remembering the other two relationships I had before him, the same problem came up too.

Our silence was broken when he asked me what dish I would like to order. I told him I'd pick Lechon Macau, a dish I choose whenever we dine in that restaurant. He told me to make it two, since he chose the same dish that I picked up. I paid the bill then we proceeded to find a table that is placed far from other tables in the dining area. But before we were able to leave the queue, my date whispered something that made me smile for the first time this afternoon.

"Happy Valentines... I love you."

The smile which he put on my face was still there when we found a table with three chairs. It was located across the corridor leading to the bathroom. It's place was relatively far from other chairs which might have put us in a spotlight. Unfortunately, the smile that he put on my face was immediately replaced by a squirming pain. My stomach began to heave uncomfortably the moment we settled down. We barely got to talk because I immediately made a mad dash to the toilet the moment I saw bathroom door swung open .

When I got out feeling much better, our food had been served. My date was waiting for me worried about my worsening condition. I told him that I was fine - that maybe what I need is something to eat. He told me that he ordered an extra rice because a single cup would not give him a full meal. His excuse left a grin on my face knowing that between him and me, I was the one who needs more nutrients to sustain my weak body.

I was finished with my plate when he was about to start filling his with the extra rice he ordered earlier. He offered half of it to me, but I told him that I'm already full. Again, the worries started to show on his face. To assure him that I'm alright, I explained that the reason why I eat so little is because I already taught myself to lessen my appetite. He told me that I'm killing myself with my diet. I acknowledged his concerns because they were grounded on facts. These well-being troubles only started appearing when I started cutting my my food intake by half.

Looking at his troubled face, I could not take away my thoughts from the last time we've been intimate with one another. We did nothing, but the sweetness of sleeping both naked, with arms wrapped around each other's body and my hard prick poking his soft butt skin made me long for him even more. Without any forewarning these words blurted freely from my heart:

"Alam mo miss na miss na kita."

He was obviously shocked, unable to grasp what he just heard from me. He was blushing and while our table was located far from other diners, those who were seated close to us might have heard what I said. I did nothing to stop myself from telling him what I feel. It was a true longing to his presence. It was something which I have grown to enjoy now that I don't think of anything else except my shrinking little world.

He never said anything about what I said. My words might have been a big pill to swallow and he was having a hard time grasping the straightforwardness of my emotions. We didn't stay long after that. It was already past 1 pm and his lunch break is over. I, on the other hand should be heading for work unless I would like to come late. We left the restaurant feeling as if things were just ordinary. After all, for other couples, such lunch date is just a part of their daily routine.

Inside the FX, TL sent me a text message asking how my Valentines Day was. I told him that I had a lunch date with Phanks and that's all we had. Strangely he replied not by asking me "Yun lang?" or "Wala na kayong balak na iba?" which others might have asked me. Knowing TL, I know how he values simplicity especially when celebrating a special day like Valentines. He told me that Bebhe was sick and much as he would like to go out with his buddy, he spent the day lying by his side and taking care of him.

"Ok lang yan," I texted back. "That's worth a million expensive dates put together. The simpler u celebrate valentines, the more u appreciate its true essence."

---

As we were about to leave the restaurant, I was tempted to ask him to go to the bathroom. Maybe, just maybe, he would allow me to give him a kiss and a hug, anything that would make this day something more than just the ordinary.

No comments: