Saturday, February 16, 2008

Phyrric Awakening

Morning comes and the thought of my snatched phone had already sink in.

Before the forceful snatching last night, the first thing I do when I wake up in the afternoon is to check my phone for text messages. After deleting most of them, I call my buddy to make sure he is already at work. I get up to do my morning rituals leaving my phone slumped on my bed. I leave it there confident that when I return after taking a bath, it would still be there hidden under the pillows. It is a day to day affair that I have grown used to.

But things were different when I woke up this afternoon.

The N70 which often lies somewhere in the carpet wasn't there anymore. My hands couldn't feel it any longer. There were no text messages to look forward to when I opened my eyes. There was no cellphone to use in checking my boyfriend when I thought of him. Things were pretty different when I got up from the bed and what made things more desolate was the cold breeze blowing from my window.

---

I didn't waste any time getting my feet back on the ground.

Knowing that I would be terribly handicapped without a phone, I went to SM Centerpoint to tell the people at Globe that my phone was snatched last night. I needed a sim card replacement and have the same number that I'm using. My request was approved but they said that I needed to settle my outstanding balance first. I have to pay P2,100 pesos before my line could be reconnected.

Yes, it was pain to my wallet but I consider it essential to my survival.

I got my new sim card the moment I was able to settle my dues. My phone number is still the same, so everyone who knows my number could breathe a sigh of relief now that I'm still using it. I decided to buy a new phone from Globe as well since I don't have a spare unit for my new sim card.

Heaving from the deluge of unexpected expenses, I decided to pick a cheap new phone:

That has no built-in Carl Zeiss camera
and that has no mp3 player.

It's just a simple communication gadget that would keep me in touch with everyone.

While I was on my way to work, I realized how things turned upside down now that I'm using a low-end phone. Before, I used my phone as a status symbol. It was something I flashed to everyone to announce my status and my being. After all, my N70 was something to brag about when it first came in the market and what so good about it is that I got it for free.

However, if there is something I heavily resented in losing my phone, it is the camera. Its lenses allowed me to take pictures of objects that I immortalized in my Flickr and Blogger web pages before. It would have immortalized my UP Fair activity if it was spared from being forcefully taken away from me.

But things happen unexpectedly.

"Life goes on." That was what I mummed to myself when I pressed the on button of my new Nokia 1208. "It might be a simple, insignificant communications gadget to many. But to me, its my way of saying 'i'm moving on,' no matter how difficult and humbling the changes are to me."


No comments: