Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Anti-Gay




From Carlos Celdran's Facebook Page


I look at the picture and see two bullies. 

One invokes the name of the Almighty for righteous indignation, the other calls on the power of humor for sublime retribution. Without context, it is not easy to sift through the message: to side with who is right and who is wrong. For reasons only God knows, they converge at the same event every year. Two opposing creeds marching side by side, for a right to voice out their beliefs.

Thirteen years had passed since the day I embraced my sexual preference. It was a slow and agonizing path toward recognition. While I no longer have gay issues to speak of, a part of me stays in the closet. No one at home really talks about me bringing in my exes and flings. 

No one bothered to ask it straight. 

Hence, I stayed away from the advocates and their Pride Marches, out of fear of being identified. 

Confronted.   

To be forced by the family to make the unrehearsed confession.

But it doesn't mean my sentience is asleep. Every year, since the first Pride Marches were organized, I was invited to join the parade. I could have showed up, and blog about the event. Or even participate as an observer, and really find out the heart of the advocacy. While acceptance among straight and gay people of every hue remain a pipe dream, I have never doubted the capabilities of my tribe.

I am content with the social arrangement. Liberal thought is already catching up. 

Now back to the subject, I see photos of them -  the wretched ones - every year. The Caucasian pastor and his little brown-skinned puppets stood by the curb, raising their paper boards screaming with hate and outrage over the perceived immoralities of those they wish to repent. 

And the sinful heathens poke fun at their presence.

I do not know what exactly takes place when these two people converge: the advocates and their antagonists, and if in their tensest moments, does one see the other as a fellow human and not the enemy of whatever deity they side with?

Do those with the loudest voices, give space for the minority to air their side?

But if history were to be the judge, the advocacy will cease to exist without the other's presence. The reason these Pride events take place is to remind everyone about LBGT's rights. In the absence of those who have long desired their complete disappearance, what reason there is to wear pink and parade the streets of Manila, like the rest of humanity still cares?



1 comment:

FiftyShadesOfQueer said...

I was here. I marched for love without fear and for those who can't.