Monday, February 20, 2017

The Things I Tweet Not



With over 3,100 followers, including lawmakers, former government officials, and even social progressives who are standing against the excesses of this administration, prudence dictates that I should exercise restraint when posting musings on Twitter. Gone are the days when my tweets were nothing but random (and sometimes sleazy) thoughts that require no contemplation or live journals that I could not publish (for being too trivial to post) when the blogs were still the preferred medium of expression. While posting chronicles of the moment still happen from time to time (to let everyone know that I still have a social life, a me-time, a family, or an identity), by all accounts, my Twitter has been completely politicized. Not to mention, being in a relationship limits your liberty to speak your mind on things that you have yet to disclose to your partner.

Like tales of past relationships.

Given this restricted space for navel gazing, here are the things that I no longer publish on my microblogging service:

1. Half-naked photos that fed my need for validation when I still have the guns to flaunt.

2. Stories of past exploits and the lessons I've learned from them.

3. References to my ex-boyfriends, flings, and strangers-in-between.

4. Unspoken frustrations that come with being in a relationship (which, I tend to leave undisturbed in my subconscious thoughts) 

5. Money and family matters.

These subjects were seldom written in long-form writing as they are irrelevant to my personal narrative. But given the anonymous nature of this blog, I may be able to exercise the freedom to write what I have in mind. Should I be able to sustain my mojo and remain defiant to the temptations of going public in exchange for more readers, you may count on some entries that put into context the stories from my dark ages. 

But first, I will need to write casually, and drop the formality that has become my voice now that I have grown.

7 comments:

John Ahmer said...

bakit naman yung #1 nawala. char! as for me when you're feeling stuck and losing motivation to tweet, don't force it. but now when i came back to socialnet and speak what's on my mind. i feel a sense of relief.

Mamon said...

Akala ko nga dati Twitter was the extension of your blog. Pansin ko nga na madalas political or current events nasa tweets mo. So balik blog ka na ulit? Excited to read your thoughts again :)

Mugen said...

Ahmer: Ganun daw talaga pag me asawa na. Lol. If I stop tweeting (which happened a few times) it means I've sunk into depression. A real bad depression. Nakain na rin ako ng sistema. Masarap mag tweet kasi andami nagrereply. Lol.

Mamon: The challenge of blogging is that I no longer have the time to write for 2 hours and edit the piece for another 2. Tapos you'll do it for your own gratification. :)

Iba noon. We're motivated to write because we like to pretend that nobody's reading but hundreds do. Ang weird lang.

Mamon said...

Bakit parang iba ako. I write coz I thought people are reading pero sa totoo wala naman talaga. Hehe

Mugen said...

Mamon:

Kanya kanyang trip. Haha.

Anonymous said...

I would def want to read more on your past exploits ;) haha happy to be reading all of your blogs again ;)

Mugen said...

Simon: They're buried somewhere here and on my other blog. I will hold my ground and hope I could stay long enough to encourage others to return to blogging. :)