Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Day They Took Away Happiness

It would have been a normal, typical Tuesday morning.
After sliding my time card in the bundy clock, I would have logged on to our system so that the bosses would know that I am already ready to answer the pending messages. Next thing I would do is open my Yahoo Messenger to send my ritual goodmorning message to Pipay early in the morning. Most likely he would greet back "Morning Pogi." or, on frisky mornings, he would just ask me. "Nasaan ang lalaki ko?"
After a small chitchat with him, I would open a link to pinoyexchange.com to check out the homosexual movements in that online forum. Most of the time, I would see Pipay's post, either contradicting someone or praising some cool stories shared by some newbie homosexual guy. In between work and chat, I would have shared my thoughts as well; either I would have reinforced Pipay's statement, or in most cases, just minding my own business alone - until of course he starts to join my "party."
When I get bored, I would open my limewire to check some new MP3s to download. However, since most operators were either playing online games or just chatting in their respective IM service, somebody would complain that the connection is slowing down. And I would be forced to close my Limewire, since the first casualty in the morning shift, would always be me.
Because I handled three accounts.
By 9 am, Redguy would have logged on as well. Like everyday ritual, he would greet me "morning" to announce his presence. During lean days, we would have chatted all morning, while the rest of the ODDERs were having their own conference in the other window.
Most likely, Pipay would once again mack my system just to remind me to find him a guy to meet up - or spend time with. Automatically, I would open a link to G4M - to shop for guys and oogle on their muscular or toned bodies - which lately I am try emulate myself, while seeking numbers and pictures which I could send to my friend.
An hour before noon, I would have probably checked my production status. If I feel that I wont reach my personal quota for the day, I would announce to everyone my brief isolation from the community. For 3 hours, I would produce more messages than I could produce in two hours early in the morning, that way, I would go home happy and fullfilled, that my routine has been strictly followed for the day.
---
Unfortunately, it won't happen anymore.
In a surprise move, the masters suddenly reformatted the computers and made sure the operators would only click the icons they are required to use. My limewire, which I treasured for seven months has been completely eradicated.
The Yahoo Messanger, which had been my connection to the outside world; my link far beyond insanity was taken down as well.
And worse of all, we could not delete anymore the websites we have visited while working during our shift.
That means somebody could check out the websites I've been through today.
That means there's an 80% chance somebody could read this blog from office.
That means my sadness and disappointments would probably reach, even the highest authority in my company.
And that's good. Because the changes were too sudden and too swift for most of us.
Since I've been doing my job and delivering my expected production - with or without those distractions.
Why change the environment now, since most of us were happily doing our job with those priviledges.
---
Nakakalungkot minsan na as we grow bigger, the things we cherished when we were smaller gradually vanish before our eyes.
I sincerely wish, that I would never see the day when one morning, I would just simply realize that I'm already alienated in my work.
That my own company took away the last remaining happiness and distraction in me.

No comments: