Wednesday, June 28, 2006

High School Funk (Ending)

When I have finally brought mom to her classroom, I told her assistant who was with us to return to our service and leave without me. I decided to remain in the campus and do my business.

A few short walks from the main hall, and I arrived at a small cluster of maroon buildings fronting the university's main library. There, I was greeted by cheerfully busy midg... er... little boys and girls who were hanging out and doing all sorts of stuff - from reviewing for an exam to gossiping in front of their classrooms while waiting for teachers to arrive.

"Ah! The first year high school students!" I told myself. "Not so long ago, we used to do the same thing."

---

Back then when we were in first year, we would even play piko in front of our classroom in the morning. After classes, during our second year, we would rush to a nearby "computer center" outside the campus to rent a console and play Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog game. Later that year, we mustured enough courage to raid SM Centerpoint and spend the entire afternoon in the arcade games department. During the third and fourth year, I'd spend the rest of the afternoon playing primitive PC Games such as the early predecessors of Civilization IV and other strategy games available to my delight.

To be spotted in the school grounds when dark has finally settled means to be a "pakawala" - a deviance to our typical high school lifestyle. Sometimes, when the games I played turned out to be more challenging than the usual, I'd leave the computer shop at past 6 pm. For me, such time of the day is considered a little late for a high school student. Which in turn, messes up my routine at night. However, when I arrive home, nobody is around to complain for my late arrival, my parents would arrive far later at night.

---

At the high school grounds this morning, I directly went to the bullettin boards located at the middle building hallway connecting all the clusters of building together. Since my high school days, all past events and future announcements were posted in that bulletin board.

It was just the beginning of the school year and the most important event they had so far was the traditional orientation of the freshmen students. When I looked at the photos, I found out that most of my teachers back then were not around anymore. I later found out that many of them have retired or were promoted to teach in college. Instead, those who replaced them were younger ones. I had this inkling that I might be older than the new teachers that replaced the ones I had been with.

It was getting pretty late. I had an appointed at noon. Contrary to my habit of being shy during introductions, I mustered enough courage to wait in front of the faculty room and greet all the teachers who were coming out that I'm familiar with. The first one I saw was my Filipino Teacher back in second year. I approached her and instantly she remembered me. The same thing happened with my teacher in Math - who, during those times back when I was in high school was always upset with me.

You see, I think I am one of those rare students, who have managed to be at par with the brightest student in History, but at the same time, getting the lowest grade in Algebra among the entire batch.

But those were the days, when we saw each other, what remains are the good memories and the pleasantries we had.

Shortly after, I finally met my favorites - my teach in Salesmanship, who, my classmates accused of having favorites and my teacher in World History, the only subject I was determined to get the highest grade and unseat the reigning "historians" in my batch.

My teacher in salesmanship, who cried during graduation and told my parents that she would miss me, was very happy when she saw me this morning, the barriers between student and teacher was not there anymore so it didn't prevent me from giving her a hug. You see, my classmates accused her of having favorites because back then, she would always give me special attention while she teaches in class. In return, I took her subject seriously. Aside from History, Marketing was the second subject I excelled in.

As we were exchanging pleasantries, my teacher in History came out of the faculty room. Immediately, I called her name which, she heard quite immediately. Soon after, I was surrounded by most of my teachers who were available. I was an instant hit - especially when I told them that I made it to the masterals.

---

One thing about teachers is that they only fondly remembers those who excelled in their class. The quiet ones were easily forgotten as well as those who were simply mediocre. Those who fondly remembered me well, thus extending warmer reception than the rest of the other teachers were the ones I excelled in. It turns out, my World History teacher now teaches English and Literature as well.

When she knew that I'm taking up Creative Writing, she asked me if I could be a speaker to her book club someday.

"But I rarely read a book maam," I told her.

"It doesn't matter as long as you're a writer."
She replied.

But am I a writer? Would this blog be a good measurement of my own writing skills? In fact, not a year ago, I was flunked by all online content-writing job applications I had with different companies. It so happened that somebody outside the BPO World noticed my skills that's why I secured my place, wherever I am right now.

Looking back, being a celebrity for 5 minutes and being remembered by your high school teachers was a breather. It makes you feel that you have achieved a big thing, when it fact, the only real achievement you have so far is being a worker and contributing taxes to the government. It would still take years before I could say something bigger...

I hope that by that time, I could already claim that I contribute to the magazines...

Hah, being a high-school book club speaker. I wish I am credible enough to be one - especially when it comes to writing.

No comments: