Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pink Politics

I could almost picture in my mind how he made a scene in front of the reporters as he presented his party list's application for candidacy during the final days of filing at the COMELEC:

He was wearing his trademark pink polo barong, as usual. Flanked by a transvestite on his right side, and another effeminate on the other. Flashes of white blinking lights followed his every move. The spectators around him cheer and jeer as he passes through decrypt corridors and alleways, perhaps to the unfamiliarity he brings. Or maybe because of the changes he is attempting to make in national politics. His arrival is an absolute scene stealer; a good news article that could land in the front pages of the major newspapers the following day.

When the lenses are looking, he shows his flamboyance - trademark of the stereotype Filipino gay guy. He waves, like how those gays in byucon does. He talks, in an effeminate manner - short of using gayspeak in hopes of reaching out to the millions of gays all over the country, whom he wishes to unite under his party. The thing is, I haven't seen a lesbian flanking him. Maybe the lesbian appeared too butchy, the lenses thought that there was another gay guy flanking this soon to be congressman who will represent the will and aspirations of the LBGT community.

---

However, the verdict wasn't in favor of the homosexuals.

The election authorities doesn't see the relevance of gays and lesbians contribute to society. They say, these people doesn't have enough signatures to run for party list representation. Others say that the LBGT could not be considered a sector that should be represented in congress. For all I care, the only reason I could really think of as to why they were not allowed to run is because LADLAD has always been percieved as an anti-government party list due to their links with Gabriela and the Reds and besides, gays and lesbians in general are still considered as an abomination by the religious sector. The COMELEC sees these weaknesses and since the sangkabaklaan were not really looking - most of them after all were more interested in the affairs of G4M rather than politics, the governement body simply shunned this party list's hopes of making it to congress.

Better luck next time in the 2010 elections they say.

But Danton Remoto would not back down that easily. Several weeks ago, a thread was created in Pinoyexchange to promote his aspirations to run as an independent candidate for the Senatorial position. I participated in that debate by airing my thoughts that as a Senatorial aspirant, I don't know anything about Remoto. I asked the author and Danton's supporters how would he be able to sell himself to the general public.

The gay overlords replied to my post with this, "the millions of gay beauticians all over the country will vote for him."

Now I understand why, he needs to act flamboyant in front of the cameras. If its a part of his image building, then he is doing a good job capturing the hearts of the politically minded effeminates.

However, will the entire LBGT community back his bid for Senate?

I think not.

---

You see, there is also this rumour told to me by a LADLAD party list colleague that Danton is also hinting of running for congress. Apparently, he realized the cost of running for Senate so he opted to represent his district instead.

I don't know if his decision to push through is fueled by his defeat - the feeling of inequity he felt as he applied for the party list application was so strong, his ego won't let him stop from running. Or, his passion in serving the "community" is so intense, he is willing to gamble everything, just to have that prized seat in the legislature.

"Bakit ayaw niya i represent ang Malate? Tutal andun naman lahat ng kabaklaan." I asked my gay colleague.

"Hindi naman siya resident ng Manila ano ka ba."

Honestly, with how things are going, I think if ever I'm a voter, I'd ditch Remoto for some other candidate with a broader platform in mind. I'm even thinking of throwing my support to Mike "Tol" Defensor, simply because his presence in the Senate would tip the balance between the pro and anti GMA forces in the upper house.

Besides, I don't really prefer being represented by someone who embraces the stereotype - like Danton does. Don't get me wrong, but the stereotype is something, we all PLUs have to break, as much as we can. In the company where I work, there is this effeminate colleague who is usually the targets of pranks from straight guys. Whether it was just meant for fun or a break from the normal routine of things, I don't know. The effeminate just play along, harrasing these guys with his notty remarks. It was fun, when I hear their verbal exchanges. But somehow, there is a deep appalling feeling in me about the whole thing. Even if my outness makes me in the same league as my gay colleague, the formality and seriousness I show to these guys makes me immune to their pranks. Yet, Im still affected whenever they say things to this effeminate colleague of mine.

Personally, I'd rather entrust myself to a femme lesbian in the legislature. I don't know why, but as far as I what my political trends say, I tend to trust women in power more than men - whether they are gay or straight. Besides, looking at what I understand about homo history, the gay leaders of the past never followed the stereotypes. They were the great warlords who took their armies to where the sun rises or the philosopher kings who were the patron of the arts and sciences. The PLUs have always been the innovators and movers of the world. Second lang ang pagmamaganda in public and the traditional byucon where the trannies find their ground.

Nevertheless, I admire Danton for lending a voice to people like us. In that aspect, I would consider him a revolutionary one, and a fighter as well. I just hope that the next time he appears in public, he would appear a little more ordinary and a little less stereotype. I think the media and the rest of the straight, homophobic nation see his presence as a hilarious break from the seriousness of the upcoming national elections.

And if LADLAD doesn't make it in this elections, there will be a next one. The great rainbow consciousness is awakening with the help of cyberspace. If it will not be in Remoto's time, perhaps in a new generation, the real battle for representation will begin.

No comments: