Sunday, June 16, 2013

Situation Critical




Job requirement includes tracking down the volume of work coming to the office, and if this is adequate to keep everyone in my team earning - to support themselves. 

Unfortunately, reports indicate that less than half of the agents go home with commission. The rest have to make do with their salaries, which, is slightly higher than what average high school teachers receive in a community private school.

The truth however is duller than what we are ready to accept. The year has not been good. Spreadsheet files - one after another - reinforce this fact. It's like fighting a losing battle; a hard-to-swallow pill meant to keep everyone afloat. But at the back of everyone's head, there's an uneasy possibility of retreat, of folding up. 

The losing streak is partly because the company still adheres to an obsolete business model, whose products no longer appeal to the market. We saw this coming many years back - before smartphones were the standard of social contacts. But lacking urgency and will to overhaul the system, I relied on the company decision makers for instructions. 

My task is to make their visions real.

I go to work everyday afraid to ask the most basic of questions: "Did you hit quota for the day?" The answer already shows in their resigned faces, or in the wordlessness of their mouths just before leaving the office. If not for the pleasant vibe of the boss or the stress-free work environment, no one can stand the feeling of the noose tightening around one's neck. 

Minsan nga, I really wanted to ask how they cope with the pay they're getting and still able to meet their loan obligations. But I refrain to raise the inquiry at the last minute out of fear of cracking the shell they cocooned themselves in. They have their ways and I have mine. What I cannot stomach sometimes is that I am still receiving the highest pay and still afford to take long naps when my reports are done.

Life isn't fair and I know that.

There are times, I am tempted to jump ship. Swim, before I get sucked into the vortex. I am itching to send my credentials elsewhere, and with the treasure trove of wisdom I gained from running the company, I'm most certain to be a prized talent somewhere.

Anywhere.

But loyalty aside. I cannot abandon the cradle that nurtured me these past half decade. Not when I can still make a difference if discipline decrees so. May diskarte naman ako, and I've been speaking to clients since Elance taught me to look for other means of earning. It's just that, after all these years, I've never learned to stand up and take control. 

I've always been someone's wingman.

The situation at work will stay critical for quite sometime, and I'm counting the days when the boss would ask me to accept a pay cut. As for me, I would hold on - long enough until I see my colleagues having the means of earn outside the workplace. Or when someone calls the shots - God forbid - and ask each and everyone to take their final bow. At least, in the future, when I get interviewed in a start-up company or a government post, I can always say to my new liege. 

"I made sure everyone was able to take the last boat out." 

"I chose to go down with the ship."




Meanwhile:


I have a meeting with my web designer on Sunday. I have a few more ideas that I'll run by him and let you know where things stand. 

Thanks for your patience and your continued work on my projects. 

I can only see you running one of my organizations in the future. You are incredibly talented.

Have a great weekend.


The client

  

No comments: