Friday, February 10, 2012

Tolerance



A museum official said that a group of five to six men stormed into the building twice, deliberately targeted the Buddhist relics and ruins of monasteries exhibited in the pre- Islamic collection, destroying most items 'beyond repair'.

According to a source, a coral stone head of Lord Buddha, an 11th century piece recovered from Thoddoo in Alifu Atoll, was smashed up by the attackers, one of the most significant pieces at the museum inside Sultan’s Park.

Other pieces vandalised include the Bohomala sculptures, monkey statues and a broken statue piece of the Hindu water god, Makara, while the two five-faced statues discovered from Male’ were also damaged – the only remaining archaeological evidence proving the existence of a Buddhist era in the Maldives.

AFP reported Nasheed as saying that the vandals included Islamist hardliners who had attacked the museum because they believed some of the statues inside were 'idolatrous'.


Organized Religion, are you to blame? Are you humanity's bane masquerading as our salvation. Do our souls receive blessing from doing your will? Do we bask in sunshine with your thoughts in our heads? 

How many wars did we fight for you? How many deceptions did we commit under your influence? How many times did we violate the laws of nature, inspired that what we're doing is for the common good? How many acts of brutality did we perform in your name?

Please enlighten me, for I am a believer, still. I believe in the wisdom of the universe; of a higher power that guides us all. I believe in a creator, the angels and the holy mother. I embrace karma, reincarnation, even the single law Jesus bid us to follow before he was crucified.

I believe in the goodness of man, or at least, what is inherent in him. I frown on hatred, no matter how tempting to let it rule over my heart. I have deep respect for the spirits of nature; of the traditions of the old; of the religions guiding our daily lives.

There is no reason to get jealous. No need to convert a neighbor to our faith, unless his heart sought a new path. Self-righteousness has no place in the mind of the peace-loving. Everyone has a right to express his belief, as long as it doesn't violate another. 

So please tell me, why? Are you to blame, or the uninstructed many who lead you. Will someone ask for my head after raising these questions? 

Will I get excommunicated or receive a fatwa?

Let me end this with a confession. I hardly enjoy attending masses or gatherings invoking my beliefs. In times I did, I stay away from people - and that stranger in the pulpit who speaks for my Creator. I am weary of his homily. Few listen anyway. Instead, I put myself in a corner, maybe near a tree or better yet, in the company of candles. I dwell in silence. Then I speak to my Father like what Jesus said. Because the truth is, I don't find salvation from robed persons, reprinted books. Even human inventions.

You find it inside your heart.

And when man realizes that the answer can never be found in a single religion and appreciates this truth, it is the time he understands what spirituality is.





4 comments:

^travis said...

fundamentalism and fanaticism are the main culprits that breed religious intolerance.

Nanay said...

Just keep searching, my friend. The way may be long, but the Truth is always found by those who truly and sincerely seek it.

Mugen said...

Nanay:

Like I said, your presence as well as of Tina's make sure that no matter where I go, light is not far behind. :) Trust me on this one. I'll never turn my back. Not at this point in my life.

Travis:

It is sad. Because the presence of higher being, a creator, should make us realize our limitations, our frailty, our humanity.

Unknown said...

If I had remained Catholic, I would be an anticlerical Catholic. I do not look to priests or bishops for morality just because they are priests. Own your religion and customise it; do not let others do it for you. I think you are doing well with it. :)