Tuesday, December 6, 2005

1979

Once upon a time, there were much more open spaces in the east and south of Manila. Cellphones were not yet invented. Computers have not entered the commercial market yet and money is still usually withdrawn on bank counters instead of ATMs.
Who would have thought that in 30 years, things would change drastically? Skyscrapers would eventually dominate the skyline, flyovers and LRTs would be built on roads once considered as mere alternative to the main thoroughfares of the time and cars would become more compact, slender and will have power steering abilities, unlike their counterparts which looks like mean lousy machines.
Look at how Manila looks like during the dawn of time - that is before Edsa People Power has become synonymous with government overthrow. Since I wasn't even concieved during this time, and my parents still lived their single lives, I find this moment quite pristine from what my eyes are seeing today.
Maybe someday, I should use my digicam to do the same thing - take pictures of places that will change decades from now. Places, we used to look down today might actually become the centerpiece of the future.
There are times I still imagine hows it really like living those times. Is it very different from today? Which is better, ours or theirs?
Anyway, enjoy the photos guys. Thanks Kugel for the link to that site.
Edsa Guadalupe 2

Somewhere where Glorietta/Landmark/Greenbelt stands now.

Edsa - Ortigas (somewhere between Robinsons Galle/Megamall stands today)

Makati

Edsa Guadalupe I

Dimasalang
Cubao
---
And I don’t even care to shake these zipper blues
And we don’t know
Just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below
- Smashing Pumpkins, 1979

No comments: