Saturday, December 10, 2005

When Fate Decides To Play


In the Beginning: I was delayed by around 2 hours before I got to leave home. The delay was because I had to ensure that I sent Phank's assignment to his email before lunchbreak - which took around several attempts after countless internet disconnections. Aside from that, the file was so big that it took forever before it was uploaded in my PC.

The delays meant that I may not finish all the objectives I set for yesterday. What's worse is that it seems like the universe was conspiring against me. I was short of failing my most important target if I didn't employ some strategic decisions before the great 3 malas happened.

---

Malas number 1: I was in a state of panic. The documents I was carrying must first be notarized before I could submit it. That morning I got a tip from my mom telling me that there is a Notary Public somewhere near our old neighborhood. I walked several blocks from home just to get there only to find out that their office moved out already.

I returned home since I knew a Notary Public a major road crossing away from home. When I got there. The person who was about to notarize my documents interrogated me about the technical aspects of the papers I was carrying. In the end, she declined to provide me her services since it needed my mom's presence because she said that it involves big money (which is untrue) and we are co-recipients to that inheritance. Such law-biding papers mean that if complications arise, she would be caught on it.

So I went to PUP to find my mom. Prior to that, she also gave me a tip that there is a notary public in her university. The walk alone from the main gate to the main building was already exhausting. What made my spirit sink even further was when I got there, the attending officer told me that the lawyer was unavailable.

I have to walk back again to the main gate and towards the main road which is almost like a kilometer in order for me to pursue my second objective.

---

My second objective was to get my bonus from my company. It was hassle-free activity, when I don't take into consideration the brewing issue between two of my colleagues. Definitely I have to take sides and I sided immediately with the one I honestly believe is right. However since one of those involved is a friend of my friend, which is also a friend of the other party involved, it means more complications to our controversy-riddled morning shift team.

Instead of heading to Megamall to encash my check, I decided to check out the Mandaluyong City Hall first in hopes of finding a Notary Public. At this point it was already raining and the documents I am carrying was inside a worn-out long brown envelope which was extremely vulnerable to water.

With luck, I found a nearby "mobile" Notary Public to which I showed my documents. Within seconds of browsing, the person who will be signing it charged me 100 pesos as a notarial fee. A relatively cheap fee compared to what I was assuming. Besides, the Notary Public didn't give me any hassles so in gratitude, I bought a long folder and a new brown envelope to replace the worn out one. I also put inside a separate yellow folder I stole from one of my mom's student requirment which had a plastic cover that contains the original legal papers needed to complete the necessary requirements for the claims.

Things were relatively easy after I have notarized the documents. I hailed a cab going to RCBC Plaza to encash my check since that branch is our company's main bank. To complete my second objective, I just have to cross Ayala to deposit my bonus in Banco De Oro across the street.
However, my next malas came while I was waiting for the stoplight in Ayala to turn red...

---

Malas Number 2:
Water puddles has always been a pedestrian's worst enemy whenever it rains. As always, there is a rude and reckless driver who could easily destroy your day (and your get-up) with their arrogance.

As I was waiting for the stoplight to turn red in order to cross Ayala. An old stupid bus came too close to the spot where I was standing. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the huge water puddles in front of me.

Within split seconds, water had completely drenched me. The bus drove to the water puddle which created a massive splash. If not for the umbrella, which I used to dodge the dirty water that would be hitting the upper part of my body, I would have been a goner. A basang sisiw walking along Ayala...

However it didn't spared my pants, which was drenched by the water. The guy beside me had a more gruesome fate.

I left the bank on the other side shivering from the cold. Never did I felt so dirty in my whole life while walking along Ayala after that most tragic event.

---

Malas Number 3:
The rains continued to fall as I walked along that street that leads to the Mile Long Centre. By this time, I was extremely exhausted and harrassed from all the bad luck and walking I have done so far.

In my lazyiness, instead of firmly holding the brown envelope with my hands, I simply clamped it in my armpits. I knew it would be risky since a false move of my arms would loosen my clamp of the envelope. But I never listened to my conscience, for I was thinking more of exhaustion.

Exactly while I was about to cross a puddle, my arms loosened its clamp. The envelope fell in the puddle and it instantly became wet and spongy. The people who saw it was in a complete shock while I immediately took it out of the puddle while cussing at nothingness. I was my death, I thought - a whole week of stressful effort going to and fro Makati just to complete the requirements would go in vain after all.

But with the right luck and forward thinking, I was saved from utter failure.

As it turns out, the folder with the plastic cover fell first before the folder I bought at the Notary Public in Mandaluyong which contains the main documents. The plastic cover not only protected its folder's contents but it also saved the folder on top of it that contains the documents that I was to submit.

While peeling the spongy wet brown folder, I felt very relieved of my decisions to replace the worn out brown envelope with a much more sturdier one. If it happened before I could do the replacements, then it would have been a complete disaster.

---

Eventually, I reached the office in one piece. I really ensured that no accidents would ever happen to me again while I was carrying the documents.

When I gave the document to the attendant, she initially asked me why I submitted only the photocopy of my father's death certificate when they actually required the original one. For a moment there, I thought they would deny my papers, especially when she asked me to wait as she verified the requirements with the higher authorities.

It seems like I might fail at the very end of my journey...

While waiting for her to return, I reflected on how fate and events played a major part on everything that happened that day. The three unlucky events humbled me, for I was reminded again of how things gone very badly could easily destroy every effort you made to achieve something.

Suddenly the thought of being bounded by some unspeakable powers higher than me woke up my consciousness.

It made me address that higher power to let me move on in peace...

After a few minutes, the lady returned. She was smiling at me, for I told her before she consulted the authorities how much hassle and bad luck I got just to submit those documents to them. She sat back on her chair then breathed for a moment before relaying me the news.

"All clear," she said. "The company accepted your papers."

"Finally, I am free." I said to myself. All those bumps I have encounted along the way suddenly became sweeter as I celebrated my victory that moment. As I left their office, I looked back at the nice lady, whom had assisted me for the most time I've been there. The PR, I've been doing ever since I conducted business with them worked very well.

One week more and my journey and business with them would finally be complete. And the 3 malas I had was replaced by good fortune for the rest of the day.

No comments: