Sunday, December 18, 2005

Afterglow: The Outsiders Christmas Party (Part I)

The amats I got from the party only proves how successful our Christmas Party was.

The weeks of planning, sending of invitation and the never-ending exchanges in the Outsiders Yahoo Groups bore fruits that no one among us really expected it would turnout.

Suffice to say, we were humbled by the party’s outcome. In all the long years we have been together, everyone remembered our most cherished memories and for that they came out to celebrate this timeless tradition with the rest of us.

This year’s party was the biggest and grandest celebration we ever had after Meng Meng left for the US.

--

My journey started way ahead than most of the guys in my group.

While the organizers were busy scouting for our party's venue, I was busy planning for my surprise to these guys who had made a very strong impact on my life this year. Like the years that came before, it has become my tradition to give presents/small tokens to these people I find very special and dear to me.

Their reaction to my gifts was really impressive. Not only did I surprise them last night, it turns out that most of my presents really flattered them in one way or another.
In my heart, I was thankful that despite all the stresses I received from looking for gifts to give them, my efforts were well appreciated.

Talk about saying ‘thank you’ louder than words could ever have said.

--

Phanks and I arrived late last night at Elbow Room.

Good thing, I have convinced my buddy to join the party since most of the guys were asking me all the time about him. Besides, its been years already since the last time we were seen attending such a major event. Although, I was ready to accept a rejection from him, Phanks' decision to be with me in this most sacred occassion really made this year's party more special to me.
When we got off from the taxi at Metrowalk, Papu was already there behind us. His immediate reaction was a comment about the big blue plastic bag I was carrying. I told him nothing about the gifts, which was quite obvious. Instead I just said that it was a 'surprise' for everyone.
Most of the guests were already there when we arrived.
Arj, who was the main organizer of the party was asking everyone to settle down as the party was about to start. Nate who was the one in-charge of the invitations, was at a corner with Stolich and his buddy listing and accounting all the contributions that came from the attendees.

While the rest of the guys, who mostly had ‘dates’ along were seated at the other side of the room.
The first thing I did after putting my things on the table was to go around hugging and acknowledging each and every one of them.

Phanks immediately settled in one of the available chairs near the Karaoke Booth. At first, he was extremely shy despite the attention he got from those who know him. After paying for my dues, (which cost P600 bucks) I started looking for attendees who were just about to arrive.

While looking for more familiar faces, I saw Kuya Zeki (Jagard) seated at one of the chairs near the door. He seems to be in a good mood already, after an initial misunderstanding almost ended up in a sour mood between him and one of the organizers. Henry (Econ Major), who was a no-show for all the contingents we had this year was also seated quietly near Zeki.

It appears that his change of life this year, made him more mature and serious than when I saw him a year ago. No more was the happy, and simple Henry I met last year, instead what I saw there was someone who was pragmatic and contemplating person I've never seen a year ago

--

When Garppy and Koppy, as well as Dennis Goonie and his Buddy arrived 30 minutes after we came, Arj finally announced that the short program was about to start.

Nate, who was visibly in high spirits from his table discreetly told me that we have collected dues more than what was initially projected during that evening.

We can extend our stay as long as we wanted.

I then jokingly told him that next year, when we hold a Christmas Party again; we could actually afford to place a reservation in a more expensive place. After all, what they had collected last night was the basic fee alone. If the more affluent among us had shelled more, we could literally order as much booze and food as we could take.

Talk about the power of the Pink Peso.
---
-tobecontinued-

No comments: