Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Infinity: The Outsiders Christmas Party (Finale)

There lies ethereal beauty in all things spoken directly from the heart.

Like all Christmas parties, ours had its own gift-giving portion. Unfortunately, not everyone joined the exchange gift. After all, the announcement and the ‘Bunutan’ system came too late for those who suddenly had a change of heart after a dozen new attendees confirmed their interest in joining the traditional exchange gift.

Unlike the previous year where everyone just gave their gifts to their ‘babies,’ this time the event was more solemn and emotional. Each of the participants who has a gift to their ‘baby’ would have to say something about the recipient of his gift.

While most testimonials were filled with humor, some where very personal and moving. There were things that happened that most of us were never really aware of. Yet for some reasons, an Odder was there to provide a helping hand. Arj’s speech was quite heartwarming about Papu. While most of us just thought that he was there to hang-out with our big guy, this big guy of ours was actually providing a sanctuary and cover for Arj as he faces his own issues, while at the same time this big guy was also licking his own wounds as well.
In Arj's speech, he said everything. All the time, I thought we were just providing support for Papu, when in fact it was Paps who enlightened him in the end.

Those were the months where everyone turned out to make their presence felt as some of the guys were having troubles about their own relationships.

Eventually, nobody among us lost their buddies in those turbulent times that affected a quarter of the Outsiders.

--

While the guys took their turns delivering their testimonials to their babies, I was secretly distributing my presence as well.

In my mind, my thoughts were full of joy, as the sacrifices of having to rampage Divisoria, Greenhills, Market Market and Cubao have finally come to an end. It may have been a gift-giving to someone, but for me it was really a labor of love.

As for my ‘baby,’ he is one of my fellow bRodder that I see everyday. But the thing is, we rarely talk about ourselves. Instead, there is this kind of bond and respect that is beyond words. He is my colleague and I made sure that everyone would hear how proud I am of his achievements at work.

After all, his outstanding performance meant that my boss would think of me as someone who can provide credible operators for the company.

--

After the gift giving was concluded, Arj and Nate proudly announced that we have collected so much fees and donations that we could rent the entire place until the bar’s closing.

Tuloy ang Ligaya ika nga… as the guys hugged one another for a great party and a magnificent year for the Outsiders. At this point, Phanks was already feeling comfortable with the guys who were around him. Roy even complained that my buddy kept on teasing him, since he was showing PDA with his ‘date’ that he met a week before.

As beer flowed from the buckets, the party was turning into another Self Destruct Night, devoid of any controversial moments that happened before. This time, it was just pure fun. While some clinged on to one another for balance, some contented themselves in singing alternative songs in the karaoke – using their husky and masculine voice. I was even joking to Nate about why in this year’s party, the guys suddenly acted very barako while singing when during the two parties before they were out-birit-ing one another.

Nate just smiled since he was puzzled as well to the change of attitude among the guys.

--

The entire celebration would never have been perfect if this one final act never happened.

As the boys continued to out-guy each other at the Karaoke, I placed an SMS message to Meng- Meng who was at that moment, probably having lunch in the other side of the globe.

“Waps I really wish u were here to celebrate the party with us, tawag ka pag may
time ka.”
It was the exact text message I sent him.

Fifteen minutes after my message was sent, a private number called me. There and then, I knew that he received my message and for the rest of his remaining credits, the guys took turns talking to our one and only Mravel22.

When my phone was returned to me, I got the chance to tell him about the success of our party. The turnout itself ensured that if ever he returns home, we could easily organize a welcome contingent in honor of him.

Of course, it was a deep emotional moment between the two of us. After all, we used to talk a lot about the survival of the Odders after he leaves for the US.

And in many cases, he used to tell me to accept the changes, especially during the most difficult times in our brotherhood’s history.

--

Too drunk and too dizzy to stand up on my own, I just settled in the arms of Phanks who was beginning to get senti as he consumed the last remaining bottles of beer on the table.

For the first time in many years, I got the opportunity to personally hear his feelings about our relationship and how I changed him to become the person he is today.

He also admitted to me that he was indeed being hinted by girls around him, what makes him stick to me is the fact that nobody ever came close to what I can provide him as his lover.

That our years of being together could never be unmatched by anyone who would come after me.

--

Despite my incapacity to talk back and respond to his mushy talks, I was very flattered with his words that I simply held his hands and hugged him tight.

As I was making PDA to my buddy, I realized that we have come a very long way as lovers. That same moment, we were once again with the guys who saw us started three years ago: Papu, who gave us moral support when I first got to introduce Phanks to him; and Arj, who I told about Phanks when I first had sex with him after I arrived at self-Garppp's destruction party that same evening.

The last time the four of us saw each other was during Papu’s elbow room birthday party two years ago.

--

This year’s party had its own set of firsts, as well as moments that would never happen in any event that we will hold in the future.

It was the first time for Keren, Lolo Van, Neutron P3, Keiya Tenpouyin aka Shaola and Papu to join our party. In Papu’s comment on my previous entry, he even said that it was the first time in his life to ever win a Byucon.

It was also the first time for Roy to bring a date in an Odders’ major gathering. I just hope that he would end up with the charming guy he introduced to every one of us that night.

It was also the first time that we had an attendee who is still a virgin when it comes to man to man affairs. I just hope that by next year, he would also have a date to bring as well.

Lastly, for most of us, this year’s party demonstrated how we have grown with the company of one another. I was even talking to Garppp and RC about the once upon a time eyeballs where I used to come in my college uniform. Four years after, everyone is talking about career advancement, relationship stability and common plans for the future.

--

I used to think that our group, the Outsiders has already been lost in history. The YG we managed that used to fill the inboxes of everyone’s email only comes to life in events like this. The massive thread that used to dominate Pinoyexchange has already been buried in pages.

And like what some of the guys claimed, we used to have monthly major gatherings, but now, even the quarterlies don’t even push through as well.

If not for the Makati Gerls, who often organizes movie contingents frequently, we could have drifted and eventually become lost in the world of the PLUs.

But the Christmas Party last Saturday changed our previous beliefs. It turns out, everyone still remembers… and in that brief moment of remembering, someone even put the word ‘Odders’ on the billiard table of the private room we were renting.
Indeed, the spirit of friendship is alive and kicking. For all the good and worst times we had, from the near break-up of the group to the oneness we demonstrated during some of the most trying times we have encountered.
The party shows that its not just a mere gathering anymore.
It has become a tradition of a family.

No comments: