Sunday, April 9, 2006

Following The Sun (Part I)

We left Manila at around 3 PM in the afternoon. It was my first overnight outing for almost three years. Since it was a family vacation - which includes aunts, uncles and cousins, we had to rent a big van that would take us to our destination somewhere in Batangas.
The trip itself was a long boring one. Good thing, I brought along my MP3 player loaded with my favorite light and rock alternative, as well as chill out music. Although, I have always been a sucker for trips more than the destination, I found myself a little restless while our van inches away from South Expressway all the way to Santa Rosa exit due to traffic. It was decided that we would take the scenic trip passing through Tagaytay going to Batangas.
An hour after we have left Manila, we had to make stop over in Tagaytay to buy our dinner. Since nobody among us have seen what the place looks like. So as precaution for the things that we might encounter in the resort, we had to buy something edible from Max's. It was also confirmed at this point that another batch of our family would join us later in the evening.
While we waited for the orders to arrive, I sneaked out of the van to take some pictures of the majestic Taal Volcano and it's surrounding sceneries.
Too bad, the sun was still up so the shots were not as dramatic as I have wanted them to be. It's been years since I have been to Tagaytay and the fresh cool air was something new to me.
---
After thirty minutes, our orders had finally arrived. Soon, we were again on the road, driving beyond what I have ever seen during my past visits to Tagaytay.
Eventually, the semi-urban landscape the city has to offer has been replaced by smaller houses and rolling hills. Soon, all I could ever see on my left side was a breathtaking valley - perhaps the entire province of Cavite becons in front of me.
On my right side was the famed Splendida resort owned by none other but Enrile. If the valley on my right was a sight to behold, the Splendida was something beyond words: It was basically located at the edge of a ridge. Plunging hundreds of feet below is the Taal Lake. By then, our driver told us that we weren't in Tagaytay anymore. We were already passing in the rural town by the name of Alfonso.
Imagine Tagaytay without the restaurants, hotels, expensive vacation houses and other commercial establishments. Take away the market stalls, the flowers and the fruit stands and in their places are deep ravines and middle-class houses that dotted the highway. We were basically driving on a cliff. That's what the place looks like. Someday, somehow, I would return to that town and explore it in my own pace.
For I fell in love with the place in an instant.
What makes the town (and the trip) most memorable to me was a sight in front of us. A lone massive mountain in all it's glory rising against the setting sun. Beyond the mountain was the sea, shimmering because of the sunset. In my awe, I simply uttered the word "shit" which fortunately wasn't heard by my mom and my aunt who was seated beside me.
At that very moment, I wished I had asked the driver to park the van while I take photos of the view. Too bad, we were speeding at 140 an hour. It was nearly impossible to stop at that exact spot, especially since we were rushing to arrive at our destination.
---
The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful. I even felt uncomfortable because the descent from the top of the cliff made my ears pop.
Finally at around 5:30 PM, we have finally arrived at the resort. To be honest, it wasn't what I had expected knowing that whenever my aunt organizes some family outings like these, she ensures that we have the best places to stay in.
After we have settled down, my cousins and I went to the beach which was just across the street. Those of us who were there at shore were fortunate enough to witness the sunset before it was finally consumed by the darkness.
-tobecontinued-

No comments: