Sunday, July 23, 2006

PEx Grand Eye Ball (First Part)

Once upon a time, there was a newly-outed, same-sex oriented guy who accidentally discovers a subforum for alternative preference in PEx. Being alone, confused and having a genuine desire to reach out and meet those who shares the same feelings like he does, he responds to an invitation for a grand eyeball organized by a newcomer like him who probably connects to his situation.

Plans for such massive gathering were already in place weeks before this newly-outed guy found out the thread. As a newbie, he has an idea about how vulnerable his situation is. At the back of his mind, his main concern is what if a straight friend or acquaintance finds out that he is hanging out with the boys. His biggest fear may probably be his little secret would be prematurely revealed to people he doesn't want to find out.

Yet, for the desire to reach out, discover oneself, or even for the sake of having faraway thoughts of growing up with a stable and trusted group of soon-to-be friends, he takes the risk and gives up everything to the sun. Yesterday evening was his big night. And for guys like him who had just come out of the closet and in the process of reaching out to other guys like him,

I know how such this seemingly ordinary event for me, is massively important and life-changing to them.

---

The monsoon rains could have forced me to cancel my plans for the evening. Coming from a very exhausting work-out in the gym, my only thought is to go home and take a rest. But, attending the grand eyeball is a personal promise to myself. I reserved the entire evening just for these guys that I even encouraged Phanks to go home early so that I wouldn't have any hassle worrying about him and his own gimik later that night. Besides, the organizer who is a newbie himself, is one of my allies in enforcing decency in that little subthread we call home in Pinoyexchange. Allies help one another... he may not need mine, but I guess my presence as an old timer would be a nice assistance to his cause.

So I took a quick shower since I havent taken a bath for more than 24 hours. I could have proceeded to the GEB right after hitting the gym but after listening to trance music for two weeks, I may probably have a hard time resisting the call of BED or Government. Better be maporma for a night-out that might probably last the entire night.

Two of my closest friends would attend the GEB as well, so adjusting to the new group of people isn't a big problem anymore. Unlike in the other GEBs where my sole objective is to help set-up a new group of PLU friends, this time, I just wanted to meet them. If the meet-up turns out really well, perhaps the group could someday become a solid block in the forum.

It took an hour's travel from Manila to Makati through the secret Mandaluyong loop. It was uneventful and it seems that the attendees hasn't arrived yet because of the rain. When I finally arrived at Greenbelt, I immediately texted the organizer to know where they are. He never replied.. probably because his battery was already empty. Fortunately, Bronxdude, the organizer from the previous GEB saw me near Figaro. We went together to meet the rest of the guys in Crocodile Grill.

Before we reached the resto-bar, a fit Chinese guy wearing a black shirt with the word Metro printed on it approached us. It turns out to be Lostwansoul, the organizer of the event. When we were exchanging private messages in the forums, he gave me an impression that he is younger than me. However, when I met and talked to him in person for the first time, it appears that I would end up having the biggest misconception among the attendees. He told us that most of the guys had already arrived. Bronxdude and I are the only ones they were waiting.
When I turned my head to look at our table. I finally saw seven of them. All of the guys except for one are new faces. At last, the names, which I have probably ignored or argued with in PEx does have a face already.

A big new world has once again been revealed to me.

---

-tobecontinued-

No comments: