Friday, July 27, 2007

Sign Of The Things To Come

The Power-Hungry Kitty

Mims, the cat I adopted last summer knows how to rub elbows with the people in power.

And because these people adores him, this nasty kitty has become a spoiled brat at home. Take his daily habits for example, I would see the cat napping all day in the sala, only to wake up and pester us with his constant meowing in search of food. He would snoop someone, until that person gives up and bow down to his wishes - for a scrap of leftover from a very heavy meal.

Lately, he is seen hanging out with mom and sleeping at her lap during prime-time evenings. During this very important hour, my mom would be too preoccupied watching soap operas on ABS-CBN that she could not be disturbed by anyone. But the kitten would just sneak on her lap, curl and rub his fur to let my mom know that he is around and then finally take a nap the whole time my mom's watching the telly. As a result, mother grows fonder of him up to an extent that Mims is the one my mom looks first when she arrives home.

Lokong pusa yun, he even outdid Tootsie the dog in being the official mascot of the house.

---

The Blackout Scare

We had experienced an unusual power-outage just several minutes ago.

I hope it's just because of a downed transmission line or a power fluctuation elsewhere. But with the alarming reports of water shortages and lack of rainfall to fill up the dams up north - which in turn makes the hydroelectric plants operable, one can't help but feel worried that this might be the beginning of a long blackout spell that is threatening to cripple the city.

I was already in elementary when brownouts were a part of daily life during the early nineties. I remembered having to endure three to eight hours without power then. I also endured long boring nights last year after Typhoon Milenyo downed entire power grids across Luzon after its raging, relentless stroll of the countryside.

To bear an entire disquieting night without power was horrible. I tell you, it was unbearable. To think it would happen again sends unmistakable chills over my body. Add to that the looming water crisis which is also in the banners lately and all we have left is a complete breakdown of civilization.

What's worse is that according to the news, this is because of a climate shift brought by Global Warming.

With that in mind, I blurted out to my mom the other day how miserable might the future be for me.

Imagine, if these signs are already showing up ngayon pa lang. What more is in store twenty years from now? Supermegaultra typhoons twice as powerful as Milenyo? Freezing late January complete with snow and blizzard - here in Manila? Long dry spells that can turn the entire region of Central Luzon into a wasteland? These possibilities I mentioned above only affects the country, what more would the entire world be, once the climate becomes totally messed up.

Well, siguro by that time, all we could say na lang to the newborn is

"Welcome to the new world kiddo, too bad, your ancestors fucked up the planet, that's why its getting back at us."

---

Cybernetic Overhaul

Finally, I just discovered that my PC had become increasingly slower from the last time I checked its performance.

Blame it to the corrupted files which Phanks and my sister dumped into my hard disk. I might also blame the power fluctuations, which destabilizes my operating system every time a brown out happens.

You see, reformatting my computer has long been overdue. I should have paid a technician to fix it before the classes have started.

Unfortunately, I am also scheduled to have a massive hardware upgrade as well. It includes my desire to increase my videocard memory, my processor/motherboard capacity, and I even need to replace my DVD burner since it no longer burns blank CDs.

So the reformatting has to wait, until I could acquire the resources to satisfy my upgrading needs.

And this I would do all for the sake of playing Sims 2's expansion packs, which will be released in the market soon. Astig diba? But with my busy schedule at work and school; and my sudden shift of priorities and interests - namely gym and expanding my PLU network in G4M and beyond, I really doubt if I could play Sims anymore.

But computers IS my passion. Whether I like it or not, I am bound to upgrade my PC soon, for I won't allow myself to be left out by technology. I should even be aspiring for a laptop right now - if not for my perpetual fear that my sudden tryst with forgetfulness might cost me my very expensive precious.

Target date will be September. If my credit cards have attained a zero balance by then, and if I find a decent and trustworthy computer technician who is willing overhaul my computer; then the plans will push through.

Bahala na si Batman kung mag-short ako on cash when December comes.

No comments: