Thursday, October 26, 2006

Humans and Gods

A collegue showed me an extremely disgusting and stomach-constricting image of a person who was run over by a truck somewhere in Metro Manila. In his words, "parang baboy na tinalupan ng balat" is the best description of the dead man. If I would describe the image myself, imagine those fresh beef products being sold in a wet market. The impact and the pressure from the truck's massive tires must have dragged the man's body that it tore apart his legs, limbs, torso and head and left it mangled at the middle of the road.

Think of raw pinkish pork giniling spread at the pavement.

After I have seen the image, I immediately thought of my loved ones. One of my greatest fears is that something tragic and unforgivable such as the one in the picture happens to somebody very close to me. I remembered my mother, my sister and of course Phanks, who crosses truck-infested streets everyday.

Sitting alone on my chair, the image became my wake up call to cease all my aggressive bitchy attitude and return to my normal state of meekness. In silence, I remember why I kept this spiritual stance in life. Yes, all things happen for a reason. Only the Creator could intervene about our fate in life.

I closed my eyes and reflected on the image I have seen. With muted voice, I offered a short prayer for protection and forgiveness of my sins.

... Not in my family, Lord.

Not in this lifetime I beg you.

No comments: