Sunday, December 17, 2006

Crossroads: The Outsiders Christmas Party

Guys doing their most fab beso beso with one another as an icebreaker; Engineer contestants designing their own Santa Claus get-up for contestant-model using paper and plastic bag materials assigned to them by the judges; A Sing-Galing contest where two guys chosen from the attendees who doesn't sing, perform in front of the karaoke while judges and judge-judgesan showing their most flamboyant act tries to out-judge one other through their trivial comments to the contestants; And buckets and buckets of San Mig Light filling the table as the attendees drown themselves in beer while cherishing the good memories of four years belonging to a group known far and wide among PLU circles as the PEx - OUTSIDERS.

This is our party. And despite the series of unfortunate events that affected the group, we have managed to set time away from our careers and other preoccupations to commit to this yearly tradition that somehow defines the samahan we have.

To date, we have never failed so far and despite the lower attendance this year, The Christmas Party was a success.

---

And so, the story begins before the start of December.

Some of my tropa see each other regularly to watch movies. However, during these times I was busy with school, work and gym that I missed most of their night-outs. If not for Roy, who recently shows up more regularly to the contingents, I would be completely unaware when it comes to the personal lives of my brodders.

While I was busy organizing the class reunion of my batch, Rocky, Bunshoy and Nathan were making initial plans for this year's Odder's Christmas Party. Of course, the main issue would always be the place. Last year we held it at Elbow Room, Metrowalk. However it seems like the legendary bar recieved so much plugging this year from bloggers like me that all their function rooms were booked early for Christmas Parties.

So we had to set it in a nearby bar instead. The party will be held in a relatively obscure restaurant called Menu, still in Metrowalk.

After the downpayment, sponsored in full by one of our founders was paid, the invitation went in full circulation. At first, the reception was lukewarm - according to one of the organizers. Even a tropa, who is currently training in London for six months exerted efforts just to invite the guys to attend the party. But learning from my experience organizing the class reunion two weeks ago, I told them that apparent silence is normal especially when things regarding an event have already been set up.

Nevertheless, despite my isolation these past few months, I assured them of my presence. This is one tradition that I could not ignore no matter what happens to the group.

---

And so, the party pushed through despite a delay of over two hours.

And surprisingly, most of those who attended are the ones we only see during the party. There were also guests invited by the annual attendees and new love interests of our fellow brodders, which we never saw last year.

Aside from the parlor games, we also had our yearly awarding ceremonies this year. However, unlike the past years where the awards were based from the entire year's performance of an Odder, the awards this year were based on the overall get-up and perception of the attendees. Since the theme for the Christmas Party was a Hat Party, there was an award for the guy who wears the best hat for the night. There was also an award for the best dressed - which was won by a friend who wore a Cosplay get-up. The most improved Odder was given to Roy, who wore a "construction worker" outfit at the party. Papu was voted the Star Of The Night which I think was rigged due to his overwhelming influence and source of inspiration in the group. Nevertheless, I think I casted my vote for him in that category as well.

---

During the little intermission number where all the birit singers fought violently for the microphone just to sing a Mariah song, I had a bonding session with one of the organizers. I congratulated him for a successful party despite the apparent lack of interest from some people - who eventually showed up that night. He told me that he personally could not allow the tradition to pass simply because some events changed the landscape of the group which undoubtedly affected some of us.

For a moment, I was assuming that this year's party would be replaced by a get-together that is less fab and more intimate among us. I never doubted that such tradition would be shelved off completely especially when I think about how time flies and the more we grow older together, the closer the possibility that we would end up as Brodders for life - no matter how many misunderstandings and conflicts that may come our way.

Two nights before the party, Roy and I had a little chat about our vision of the Odders 20 years from now. It seems like aside from us, some of our tropa had begun entertaining the possibility of living together in one place - maybe a compound or in a big mansion depending on how successful we would be in our respective careers. I jokingly told him that we could even employ good looking nurses and caregivers just to look after us when we get that old.

When I think of this possible future for us, I probably get an idea as to why these traditions endure in the face of great changes...

Just like what I've said last year:

---

The party shows that its not just a mere gathering anymore.
It has become a tradition of a family.

---

I guess that sums up the general sentiments from all of us, who tries to make such tradition alive, not only for the present but for a common future all us would have to face in time.

No comments: