Monday, December 4, 2006

Hoodwinked

Mother dearest said that finally, her prayers had been answered.

According to her. Someone by the name of Lester M. Lopez texted her informing that she won P750,000.00 from a raffle draw spearheaded by the Philippine Charity Foundation. Mother calmly asked me to verify the number given to her. She wrote on a piece of paper all the information I have to know, particularly this number, 0918.508.56.75. Then she told me that if I have some time today, maybe I could check out for her the foundation's validity of existence.

For a moment, I thought we really won a raffle draw. In my mind, I was beginning to think that I might be able to buy the car of my dreams with that money. Perhaps, it could boost my savings account and earn from its interest. However, in between daydreams and the lingering thought of doubt in me, I suddenly remembered a story related by a tropa in college who had the same experience early this year.

He said that last June, somebody from SM Malls called their house to look for his mom. The caller, which is an assistant manager in the Department Store said that his mom won in their recently held raffle draw or something like that. Unfortunately, several months before, her sister almost lost her savings to some caller who also claimed that she won in a certain raffledraw.

To cut the story short, my tropa cussed and cursed the said assistant manager who persistently dialed their number until his mother intervened. She suddenly remembered joining a raffle draw in SM several months ago, after the caller informed them of its good results.

---

Remembering this story, I began analyzing the situation by asking myself this question: If mother really won a raffle draw, then the presenter should have called her due to the urgency of the good news. Another question I raised is that how come mother won a raffle draw that she didn't join in the first place?

Immediately, I told her not to call the number given to her. My suspicions of a scam becomes stronger by the hour, but actually it took all afternoon and all evening before I remembered checking out the foundation given by the texter.

---

This evening, I logged on in the internet and directly went to Guys4... err. Google. I encoded the words exactly as they were written by my mom. "Philippine Charity Foundation," I told myself... After waiting for several seconds for the page to load, my suspicions were confirmed by looking at the first query alone.

---

txt scam on gma foundation : Philippines : Gov.Ph : Forum
THIS TIME IT IS CHARITY FOUNDATION OF THE PHILIPPINES. WE'RE SUPPOSE TO CALL "LOIDA ENRIQUEZ" COZ WE WON 25000.00. IF IT IS A CHARITY GROUP, WHY GIVE OUT
...

---

If I'm 10 years younger when these scams were invented, a text message like that to my mother would leave me screaming and jumping the whole day. I would never bother checking and double checking the information listed on the text message because I am already "blinded" by the money. Of course, I was 15 then. But you know what, some people older than me get hoodwinked by such scams today.

Perhaps it is because of the economic hardships these days, or probably it is because of the temptation brought by easy money. Whatever it is, perhaps mother got her prayers answered: It's better to recieve P750K that is earned through hard work and perserverance, and not through raffle draws and lotteries that tend to decieve its believers.

As for the number, I think I have a better use for it now that I'm feeling naughty. Remember that I keep an alter-profile account in G4M? Maybe putting the phone number there would make things a little more enticing for the guys who visit my profile. Let's see how would Lester cope up with a barrage of calls coming from guys eager to know more about the "hot boy in the picture."

Perhaps such actions might lead to Mr. Lopez having a change of heart someday.

We'll see.

No comments: