Friday, December 22, 2006

Tutuban Live

The long, carbon monoxide-filled walk along the most dangerous slums of Delpan going to Divisoria proved to be a cakewalk. Dodging the incoming vegetables carts full of Onions, Cauliflowers, Pumpkins and Lettuce recently delivered from some far flung provinces wasn't really difficult at all, despite having to squeeze my legs along narrow spaces just to cross an alley occupied by vegetable stalls and sacks of produce waiting to be hauled by its dealers. The sight of naked, muscle-toned fair skinned kargadors was completely refreshing. It took away all the exhaustion and stress I felt as I strolled between delivery trucks stuck up along Recto. The friendly security guard in a nearby ATM booth warned me not to put my backpack on my back, so during the rest of the walk just to reach Tutuban Center, my worn out backpack covered my chest where my precious Nokia Phone rest on my soft abdomen. As the vendors spread their consumer goods outside the mall's premises, while the long unbroken line of panic buyers still hungry to acquire goods to be given to loved ones this Monday wait for the stalls to set up, I sit here in an obscure internet cafe, tucked away from the masses eager to haggle for discounts, tired but still determined to complete my Gift List, knowing that this would be the last time I would step foot in this place until the next holiday season begins.

No comments: