Saturday, May 5, 2007

Happiness In The House (Donya-Donyahan Sessions Part One)

A friend leaves for Siquijor with his partner.

Unfortunately, he could not bring his pet along.

So instead of leaving it caged at a vet clinic, he asked some trusted friends to look after his cat for him.

That means spending a night in his plush condo unit in Eastwood City.

I am one of the first to volunteer to look after the cat.

Last night, I was the majordoma of his pad.

---

Once upon a time, I dreamed of having my own condo place. I imagined it to be small - a studio type will be enough. I like it to be on the topmost floor so that I will have a good view of the city - preferably on the side where I could see the bay from my window. I wanted to live alone because at a relatively young age, I knew what freedom and independence meant to me. Since dad was just around to keep my mom and sister secured, I thought I could enjoy life to the fullest up there, where the world seemed so small under my feet.

But such fantasy was never meant to be. The closest thing I had achieved was to share an apartment with two other people in Quezon City. It was fun - I've learned many things from them but I realized that my roots remained deeply entrenched at home. During my stay there, I just spent a handful of nights in my room - usually, to share a hot night with my first buddy or bond with my bohemian housemates who hailed from a nearby university.

After we parted ways 8 months later, I realized that my heart will always remain at home. Even if such opportunities to own a pad (or just sleep over in one of them) would come in the future, it will just be a break from my normal life.

So imagine my excitement when Papu asked me to look after his place last night.

---

I left home at around 11 am.

Phanks asked me if I could drop by at his office in Malate for some favors he wanted to asked me. Being the devoted buddy, I obliged to follow his request. Under the heat of a blistering late-morning sun, I walked around Paco to cut my travel time and reach his workplace at breakneck speed. We eventually met. I handed over his request and since he had some work to do, our meeting didn't take long. I didn't even had the chance to look directly in his eyes.

Since I knew that the traffic along Taft Avenue would get worse because of people going out to take their lunchbreak, I walked all the way back to Plaza Dilao near Quirino Avenue to ride a jeep going back to Nagtahan. Like before, it took me around 20 minutes of walking to get there. If not for the thoughts of traffic and delay when I take the more convenient route, the walking would be unbearable.

My plan was to hit the gym first, then hang out with Mami Athena at her place in Quezon City before going to Libis and look after Papu's pad. Unfortunately, I left my keys inside my other bag so I had to return home just to get it.

Such delay, further aggravated by my mom's sudden interest to have conversations with me for an hour before going to her meeting, prompted a change of plans. Instead of going from one spot to the next, I focused directly to what my objective was for the day.

So I went directly to Eastwood City, just to make sure the cat was ok. The gym could come at a later time, and since Mami's place was just a jeep away, it wouldn't be much of a problem. My base of operations would be at Papu's place from now on.

---

Papu's orders were very simple.

The moment I reach the lobby, I could ignore the desk and proceed directly to the elevator. The keys are with me so it wouldn't be a problem. However, being my first time to look after someone else's place, I decided to stop by the desk just to make sure Papu left an authorization for a take-over. I wanted my responsibilities to be transparent. It turned out, the guard on duty was not aware of it. Nevertheless, he asked for an ID in order for me to get a gate pass.

When I opened the door, the cat immediately greeted me. It was obviously anxious from the prolonged period without any human contact. It kept on meowing and meowing while rubbing his head and body against my legs. That moment, I remembered the reason why paps wanted someone to look after his pad. Forget the valuables kept hidden inside his room (which I actually demanded him to keep away well hidden), what's important is for someone to keep the cat company. That was my main objective for staying there in the first place.

Settling down was easy, but running the place was the difficult part. The moment I dropped my bag on the dining table, I immediately checked if the cat had enough food and water on his bowl. Since it kept on following me wherever I go, I took him in my arms to carry him around. His gray, thick fur was all over my shirt and because it was terribly hot, I decided to take if off.

Next thing I did was to take a shower and clean up. The long walk from Taft to Quirino produced a lot of sweat and smell from my body that going around and sitting from one chair to the other became so much uncomfortable inside Papu's pad.

The moment I stepped inside the shower area, it was like being transported to another world. Being used to the humble tabo everyday, every continuous flow of high-pressured water from the shower head was a dharmic experience. Since the nozzle was movable, every part of my body received a bombardment of jet-sprayed water. If only we could afford such fixture at home, Im sure that our monthly water bill would increase from the frequent use of the shower rather than having to take a bath using the balde instead.

---

After the shower, I went down to look for a nearby Metrobank branch. Our salary was released yesterday so I had the chance to pay my credit card bill before receiving a penalty charge for not settling my dues before the deadline. Since there was a nearby branch across the street, paying wasn't really a hassle at all. I was able to complete my errand at a fraction of the time I used to do it when in other branches.

Just before I left the bank premises, Mami texted me that she's not feeling well. We agreed to postpone our meeting at an indefinite time.

Having the rest of the afternoon to myself, I spent my time downloading MP3s and browsing profiles and reading forum threads in G4M. At the back of my mind, I was beginning to feel how those who posted sex ads do have the advantage and the right to choose who to hook-up with since the place is owned by them. Who said everyone was born equal?

At around 6 pm, one of my companions for the night texted me. He asked how was I doing and what to bring for our little "tea" party that evening.

Before that, he asked me if I'm interested to join him do his workout in his gym. Since it was just a stone throw away from my place, joining him would be more convenient than going back to Mandaluyong or postponing my workout for today. At first I was a bit hesitant to accept his invitation because his schedule conflicted with mine. However, since things have changed from my original plan, I decided to break away from my routine and check his gym for a change.

"Kita na lang tayo dito sa may Starbux. May dala akong tuna sandwich for you," XP told me in his text message. Since I wasn't familiar around Eastwood City, it took me quite some time to find where Starbucks is located.

Before 7 pm, I saw him walking towards my direction. Wearing a fitted black tops and grey jogging pants, he's definitely fueled up for an intense workout that keeps him fitter and hunkier every time I see him..

For the second time, I'm will have my work-out at Fitness First.

The Donya-donyahan sessions had formally begun.

No comments: