Monday, May 14, 2007

In The Babaylan's Campfire

After Mami A.

---

The firebrand
babaylan spoke to me
in my dream
She said
that the self-pity
is over.

That I never lost my dignity.

She told me
that in times of
reeling from the shock, the only way
to go on is to absorb everything
then throw it out
like a ball of thorns stuck between
your throat and your stomach.

For the first time
I really felt good.
It's like being cooked
inside a very hot oven
only to be taken out
intact in form and character.

Finally, she made me realize
that despite
all the mudslinging done to me.
The lost wasn't mine
but to the one who accused and
believed
the rumors about me.
Tripper was right,
I might end up stronger
because of this.

Before our conversation ended
I saw myself taking my cap off
as a sign of my return to the normalcy.
She convinced me to end
my personal jihad and declare peace
to the world.

And so,
the moment I woke up
I realized, the cap in my head
was gone.

In her entranced state
the babaylan
healed me.

Her magical words
had set me free.

No comments: