Monday, September 29, 2008

Retention

September 22, 2008


F.S.Geronimo
Managing Director, Chatzone Plc
Techron Towers, Maria Mercedes, San Juan


Dear Mr. Geronimo


I love this company so much, that I may never forgive myself for failing you, Ms. Mami Athena and everyone who counted on me that night. The major blunder I committed two weeks ago was a very close call. We nearly lost our client for what had happened.

The guilt seeps in like poison. Much as I would like to atone for my mistakes, the guilt haunts me in a manner that is affecting my work performance. I now consider myself a liability to the company and the best course of action is to disconnect myself as soon as possible rather than risk committing bigger errors in the future.

Therefore, it pains me to arrive at this decision: I tend my resignation effective October 15, 2008.

It is my sincerest desire to see Chatzone Plc continue to grow and prosper under your leadership. Thank you for the friendship, camaraderie, and most especially for all the lessons you have taught me in my long and fruitful stay in the company.

Thank you very much for everything

Sincerely yours,


Signed.

---

"Mami, the moment I post my resignation letter in the blog, it means I'm staying for good." My surrogate mom just smiled the afternoon I told her of my announcement.

The whirlwind courtship with another company proved too successful, I was given a job offer three days after I submitted my application. The new company promises bigger compensation, less working hours (6 hours) and a chance to grow in their company since they had just set office here in the country. It was a slice of paradise that is within grasp and all I have to do is grab it by my hand and take a bite at the opportunity to my heart's delight.

As stated in the resignation letter, I committed a big error that almost cost us our biggest account. The succeeding aftershocks shattered all confidence in me that I began to question my relevance to the company. The following week, the team leader who was suppose to pull me from the slump rubbed more salt to my wounded ego. Instead of being emphatic to my situation, she had a field day spotting my errors and threatened me with a memo. Everyone was tense. The clients were furious and the pressure was building up in the team. The second time I caught her attention, I broke down to tears and threatened her with a resignation.

She mellowed down immediately and became more supportive to the team a few days later. I found out this afternoon that the reason for her intensity a few weeks ago was her pregnancy with her first baby.

Going back, I pushed through with my plans despite her change of heart. However, just when I was given the free hand to leave by the only person who can convince me to stay,

I overturned my decision and decided to remain with her and the company.

The boss, the team leader and the other operators who are still loyal to the company despite the growing frustrations everyone has to face daily will never know how close I was to resigning. I decided to follow my heart and let attachments rule over my better judgment.

Hope that when the time comes when my friends who joined the new company celebrates their promotions and salary increases, I would find myself celebrating with them. Just like what the HR of the new company promised when she was handing down the job offer, I'd find myself promoted...

Here in the company I decided to stay.

With all the promotions, compensations and benefits I turned down, all in the name of faith.

---

*names of boss and office withheld.

No comments: