Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day Postcripts

And to think she would come all the way from Bicutan just to accept my invitation. Alone driving a car and without a driver, was an honor.

At CCP, where a new complex has risen; where people can enjoy the sunset at the bay while having their merienda or a tea on a pleasant, serene afternoon was the place I set for our little reunion.

But since it was still gloomy last sunday, we just contented ourselves having a sumptous merienda inside Pancake House. I never expected the place to be the perfect spot for a little bonding between children and mothers.

---

As early as Thursday last week, I was already planning this little gathering for Mother's Day. Since my aunt's son is in Europe to complete his study, I made it a point to invite her as well owing to the fact that she have been a mother to me as well.

As I was texting her of my invitation, all our bonding moments as a ninang and an inaanak flashed in my mind like a slideshow being played in my monitor . The reason why I have seen so many places around the country when I was still younger is because of her invitation. She was also the reason why we haven't had an extremely hard time coping up with my late dad's expenses at the hospital is because of her assistance. Aside from my mom, she has always been my idol and last Sunday is a perfect chance to show her how much she means to me.

---

She arrived earlier as usual. But unlike during typical family gatherings, she never rushed us to arrive earlier which was very unusual for her. When she saw us coming out of the car, She even went outside to help us accompany my mom going inside the restaurant. You see, my mom is disabled that's why she always needed an assistant whenever walking on slippery pavements.

I could have brought out the wheelchair from the trunk, but since she stayed most of the time home during summer, I thought it would be better for her to exercise her feet for a change.

When all of us have finally settled down, my aunt jokingly told my mom that this is the first time somebody treated her. What's special about it is that whenever we go out as an extended family, she would always be the one to pay the bills. The fact that nobody among my elder stateside cousins have thought of the idea when they were here makes me stand out from everyone. In her words. "Buti pa ang mga nandito sa Pilipinas, nakakaisip manlibre samantalang yung mga mayayaman mong pinsan sa States, ako pa rin ang gumagastos pag bumibisita dito."

I was quiet when she said that to my mom, but my heart was overjoyed upon hearing those words. For someone as directionless, financially unstable and relatively young like me, I could actually do little things that would show my deepest gratitude to someone very rich and influencial in my family. That was the main objective of the merienda last sunday: To show her that we care in our small little ways.

---

Hours had passed and while she and my mom talks about family matters, I cannot help but look at how calm the sea was even though the sky is still under the cover of grey clouds. Looking at the empty brick path going to Folk Arts, I could imagine us, with our grandmother in her wheelchair having a quiet stroll and pausing at intervals just to appreciate the tranquil bay. If only she is still alive.

Past 5 pm and the merienda was over. I paid the bill without them even noticing it. As we waited for my mom and my sister to come out of the bathroom, I got the chance to talk to my aunt, like we always do when we were left alone.

For as long as I could remember, her crankyness is legendary in the family. Once she gets upset or mad at something, she would never hesitate to show it - even shout at the person who committed the blunder. She is a disciplinarian in a strict sense and even until now, everyone even my mom who is two years older than her gets scared or weary when she is not in the right mood.

But when we get to talk, I see her not as someone strict and disciplinarian but someone more of a compassionate Ate. We never talk about personal stuffs, but in many ways, we have this close connection that my other cousins doesn't have.

My mom will always tell me "ikaw na ang makipag-usap dun, tutal ang lakas mo naman sa kanya eh." But even with that assurance, I would still think twice of approaching her. A gesture of respect and admiration - even humility we have been known in the family throughout the years.

---

Epilogue:

My aunt asked us to represent her in another family event last weekend. A distant relative was celebrating the first year death anniversary of her mother. While the guests were having chit chats over dinner, I excused myself to call my aunt just to make sure she arrived home safe.
She was already in Bicutan when answered the phone.

---

Everyone calls Athena 'mami' in the office, but last Sunday, only three people remembered to greet her Happy Mother's Day - two guy colleagues who were just hired in the company three months ago, and of course - me, the only "anak-sa-labas" she recognizes.

---

After the merienda at CCP, mom asked us (me and my sister) to join her in attending the church services that evening. My sister insisted that she would have to do things at home therefore she had to pass. I would have done the same thing but since it was Mother's Day, I volunteered to keep her company even though I rarely see the mass nowadays.

No comments: