Saturday, July 12, 2008

Exodus Of The Butterflies

Starbucks, Vito Cruz Manila - Roads are made for cars to pass, but on a cloudless early dawn, the car-less Taft Avenue is a welcome sight to the often congested street corner that frustrates commuters when they go to Buendia. The blissful silence, which is occasionally punctured by roaring container trucks stir some thought-provoking topics with Lostwansoul and several pexers who choose to stay and wait until the sunrise comes. I am thankful that such opportunity presents itself, for it gives a variety to the monotonous clubbing nights I usually seek in Malate.

"So how do you see your life in the years to come?" Lostwan asked, as he lights a stick of cigarette.

I didn't understand his question at first, so he rephrased it to get the exact answers from those who listened. "Do you want to grow old and die in the country?"

For some reasons, the sorry state of the country has been the dominant subject in tonight's coffee talk. One pexer, who I will call Phil in this entry arrived from San Francisco last month and told us how things were run differently there. He said that their healthcare system was awesome, their social security net really works for the people, and they are really attentive to disabled people. You can see in his eyes how his six months work had transformed him. He even said bitterly that in all the years he toiled here, he never felt the taxes he paid went back to him.

Comparisons were made at how taxes were spent here and in the US. In the country, money goes to corrupt officials and their cohorts, which is already a fact of life. Phil observed how people die here because our healthcare system sucks. "It's miserable to be poor in the country," he said. His words were like daggers falling from the sky. It stabs deep no matter how you try and cover yourself with anything to soften its impact.

If only I could share his sentiments. But for someone who never left the country his whole life, I do not know the points to compare.

All of them agreed that they want to live and die elsewhere. Lostwansoul preferred to enjoy his retirement in Australia or New Zealand because their society looks more progressive than ours. Another said that he might return, but he does not want to get old in Manila. This prefers to retire in the province. "At least doon, may mag-aalaga sayo," he defended.

Sadly, I was the only one who said I'm cool to stay and die here.

"I cannot imagine myself living in another country. Yes, you will earn big there but for what?" I answered painfully and with conviction in my heart.

"Maybe you do not see it as your plan yet." Lostwansoul answered.

God knows how deeply attached I am to my roots. If there is one big reason I haven't packed up my things yet to join the millions of overseas workers across the planet is because of my loved ones doesn't need the money I would send back. It is my presence that is more important to them. Our bond is so strong, that even if one takes my loved ones away from the picture, the more I cannot see any sense in living the rest of my life elsewhere.

Kaya ka nga nabuhay ay upang magkaroon ng silbi sa iba. Then I'd live for those who loyally served my family for years.

I cannot say that I'm nationalistic or a supporter of the administration. The government sucks, our leaders suck and sometimes, I think the Philippine society sucks. It doesn't mean that because everything sucks here, it's better to move elsewhere. Knowing that many people had already lost hope in the country, the more we should encourage the believers to stay,

and convince those who are still undecided to wait.

Because governments change and leaders change. One enlightened ruler, who is honest enough to dedicate himself for change can inspire an entire society to follow his lead. It happens elsewhere, so probably it can happen here too.

Of all the pexers who were talking about migrating at the steps of Starbucks this morning, I was one of those who is capable of leaving and going to places they never thought of settling. If I'm seriously itching to leave the country, I'd simply write to the cultural minister of a far-flung country like Iceland, Estonia or Montenegro, present myself as a writer who is interested in comparative civilization, and offer to visit and write as much as I can about their culture to promote here in our country. My golden ticket lies not with my connections, but with my affiliation to the Oblation.

They would consider. After all, a culture as old as theirs would be eager to export their way of life to an exotic land like ours. Imagine the opportunities I will get between the lengthy and profound comparative discussion of cultures and the moment I begin writing about them. Maybe in the wondrous process of discovering their way of life, I might get invited to stay with them for a long time.

However, when I weigh things out and realize how much I'm needed here than in any other place on the planet, my instinct would tell me that I am not ready yet for migration. There are so many things about the country, for better or for worse that I can still live with.

Jose Rizal, for all his wealth and influence did not settle in another country to live a good life. He instead choose to die in Bagumbayan out of his love... he said, for the country. I do not have the blazing passion of our national hero nor I care much for the Philippines. Much as it thrills me to plant my seeds in another land and eventually become one of their productive citizens, in the end, it's my conscience that tells me

Someone needs to stay behind.

No comments: