Thursday, July 3, 2008

Manong Pawikan

Sea waves caress your leathery back as you paddle your delicate arms toward a sunward direction. You seek the shores of your birth to recover a fragment of memory lost from the beginning of your journey. Home is your shell in the middle of an emerald sea; an island fortress against the elements, you carry with you the last of the pearly lineage of your race.

---

Moved by NormanDB's tag about Adopting a Pawikan, I decided to commit a fraction of my earnings to ensure the survival of the species. The funds, which I had previously allotted to Bantay Kalikasan's Adopt a Tree Program at the La Mesa Watershed last summer did not push through. Several email letters I sent to them were never replied by the organization.

I always believe that the greatest act of selflessness a person can commit is through giving back to the environment. These people have my deepest respects because of their ability to think beyond their human affiliations and see the bigger picture, which is the welfare of the planet. I don't know, maybe the Global Warming Scare and The Going Green Movements around the world have already gotten into my head. Nothing beats watching CNN, Discovery Channel and National Geographic for someone to become a firm believer overnight.

It is still too early to tell how the collective voices of the planet will respond to the looming threat of a massive environmental crisis. I still know several people who have expressed their doubts about the truth of Global Warming. The Adopting a Pawikan project is just the first step towards my adoption of a Greener Living.

There are more to follow.

And since I will never consider myself part of the front lines in saving the species, the only support I could offer is to write about the adoption program, in hopes that it would inspire others too, like what NormanDB entry had done to me.

---

"Adopting a turtle is on during nesting season that is from October to February. Will get a chance to release a baby turtle by your hands. Thanks for your interest and please visit our Pawikan Center on said months."

Mr. Manolo Ibias, Chairman
Pawikan Conservation Center
Morong Bataan
0926 7158543

* Title borrowed from Joey Ayala's song, "Manong Pawikan"

No comments: