Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ninja Mode

It was like facing a huge mirror in your living room.

The small door opens to a large room filled with around sixty computers. The sounds of keyboard tapping suggest that a lot of things are going on inside the room. Chat operators composed mostly of effeminate gays and ordinarly looking men are busy chatting with male clients from other countries. While a morena skinned lady with small eyes and a long black flowing hair complains to her supervisor about a chatmate who forces her to do sexual things which, in real life she would never dare to do. As I sit in one corner, waiting for my name to be called by the HR officer. The image around me reminds of a place I've been with for almost a year and a half already. It is the kind of scene that normally greets me whenever I arrive at work. However, in this case, as supervisors go around checking for workers who are unproductive and while bored applicants try to look at what the regulars are doing - hoping to get an idea about the mess they are about to enter, nobody knows that my presence there serves as an eye opener for my own company. For my job application's objective is not to move on, but to see what our possible rival is doing, which may actually threaten us in the coming days ahead.

The mission began last Sunday. Since the fear of not getting anything from the Sikyu Agency tempts me to look for a second job, I stumbled upon a job ad looking for seasoned chatters who are willing to chat with adult customers from other countries. Since my work involves entirely of chatting, I've realized how much I fit in for this job. Besides, the commission that I might possibly get from my sales is enough to make me march towards Pasig to check what the job is all about.

However, at the back of my mind, I know that such move would not only betray my company but also the people who I've been with all this time. Despite Mami Athena's initial assurance that their work is not related to what we are doing, I still have this idea that I might get something from them, particularly in areas of Human Resources and Training. I could also check at how their system works and their manpower strength compared to ours.

With the blessings of the upper management - namely the QA Department and HR, I embarked on my journey to spy another company. Of course, I made sure that the boss is aware of my movements so that he would not get surprised if things went wrong. As for my resume, I deliberately erased all my connections with my present company and the address and phone number I put there were not mine. Everything that was written there is just a fiction.

---

The queue was already long when I arrived.

HR explains that their internet connection is not yet in full capacity since the recent Taiwan Earthquake damaged the submarine communication cables where they are connected. Since it was already getting late in the afternoon, they asked us to take a break and return after 30 minutes so they could take theirs as well. Therefore, we ended up waiting for more than 3 hours before our papers could finally be processed.

When it was our turn to take the exams, the HR gave us an idea of what the company is all about. The speaker said that an introduction is essential because we are not there simply to chat with foreigners - we are about to sell a product abroad, which, I think is still illegal here in the country.

Based from her explanation, we need to adopt a female persona that we would use to search for dating sites and chatrooms where, our main objective is to befriend an unsuspecting chatter who needs to get off (jack off) at the very moment of our chat conversation. After some hot steamy conversation with the chatter, we have to invite him to join an exclusive website where he could see my character stripping in the webcam, which is obviously, performed by a real lady in the US for $30 or $40 dollars. For every closed transaction we do, we get a commission. I've heard that there is no basic pay so the job is pretty tough, if you're not familiar how to be ladylike and how to get a man horny in cyberspace.

That's why they prefer to employ gay people - for they are, according to experience are natural-born expert in such job.

---

The interview is very easy. There are no face to face question and answer portion with the interviewer and all you have to do is to sit in front of the computer to take an application exam, which a regular chatter would find effortless to do.

First an applicant must create a new yahoo messenger account using a female American name. After the applicant have completed this first step, he must look for an American picture in Google, preferably a celebrity which he would save in a folder and use as a picture of the fictional female character he created in YM.

This serves as the first part of the exam. The second part is easier if you're quite familiar with US geography and culture - which is actually the foundation of our "training" in my company. In this part of the exam, my aim is to give the HR a hard time matching my chatting skills. Unfortunately, the slowness of their internet connection prevented me from gauging their abilities since they could not prolong their chat session with the applicant. Nevertheless, I am impressed with the way they conduct their application procedures. If only we could have the same type of HR exam for our applicants, perhaps we could weed out those who are ineffective before they could settle down in our company. I'm sure Mami Athena supports this idea as well.

I passed both the exams and was scheduled for training several weeks from now. That same evening, I reported to the QA Department Head of my findings and how it could affect our company directly. The following morning, I went to the boss to explain to him all that I have gathered about the company. It turns out that he is familiar with them for he used to have operators who are now working for that company.

He told me that he is quite surprised at how swift my reaction was. As he explains, he is actually planning to send someone to check the company the day I submitted the job advertisement to his office. When Mami told him that I am already on my way there to observe the company, his initial reaction was if I'm leaving, which Mami vehemently said no.

As for my own reasons, I was actually (and deliberately) looking for a second job just in case things get worse in the Sikyu Agency. The plans of moving on is out of the question, especially now that I stand as the fourth pioneer of the company I'm working with. Perhaps out of boredom, and the itch to play IR-IRan (Investigative Reporter) for a day, I decided to go on my own and see what the rival company has, and adopt it when necessary.

So far, I think our system works perfectly.

I remembered several months ago. I shared my views with Mami about the need to establish a strong QA Department in the office. I told her my willingness to observe potential competitors in order for us to prepare, when the real rival arrives. The company I checked out, may be considered one, but so far, theirs is quite different from ours, unless we accept an account that seeks male internet chatters and convince them to watch our girl's private show in a premium website.

But considering how risky this account would be, I believe that my boss would not take such offer.

I have no plans of going back. So far, those whom I've reported to are satisfied with my findings (with the pictures I took to give them an idea of their working environment.) I still don't know if there are future implications of my actions, especially now that I made it known to everyone (who reads my blog) that I've done such an undercover activity. The dreams of having a second job may be over for now since I recieved my pay from the Sikyu Agency yesterday. But if ever I will take such decision seriously; if ever I will be pushed to the desperation of seeking such extra work in the first place, I will make sure that my company will never be left behind.

They have showed their patience and understanding too much, that I'm beginning to show some strong sense of ninjahood just to return the favor back.

No comments: