Thursday, January 4, 2007

Speed Almost Killed The Pussycat

We're doing a 120 in a two-lane street called Marcos in San Juan. There were no humps or traffic lights to slow us down. Then a Ford F150 came out of nowhere. The driver forcefully stepped on his breaks, hoping that he would avoid an impending collision with the pick-up. I thought we were both goners. Fortunately, the vehicle stopped inches away from the truck. The lull and exhiliration I felt from the speed was suddenly stolen from me and replaced by an eerie emptiness of a near-accident experience, just blocks away from the company I have work with for the past 1 and a half years.

---

Since New Year, I have never arrived in the office from a tricycle. Perhaps, I got hook up with the idea of taking the cab instead because the FX'es were hard to find in the morning. Besides, I noticed that most of my colleagues ride the cab going to work. Considering that I signicantly earn more from them, I realized that I should not torment myself from waiting for a traditional ride when cabs are more available and easier to hail from where I come from.

---

This near-collision moment anyway, has given me a good lesson about taxis. One of these lessons is to tell the driver to slow down, especially on such backwater street like Marcos. I should also remind myself from now on how expensive it is to take a cab since I don't earn that much - even if I earning more than my colleagues. If the driver failed to step on the breaks in that intersection, and collided with the F150 at that speed, I don't 'm not really sure if I'm conscious right now.

And maybe I should take this as a good opportunity to thank Someone. Lately, I feel that I'm ignoring all the good things He had done to me.

Macoy was right when he said that life is too short...

Maybe I should accelerate my efforts in achieving the things I have set forth before everything is too late.

No comments: