Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dear Princess

It's been one month na since I was transferred to the afternoon shift.

Tama ka, I will eventually adjust to my new environment. In fact, I think I am already thriving in my new world. Pero you know what, the adjustments were extremely difficult especially during the first weeks of my transfer. I felt so alone, alienated and indifferent towards my new colleagues. It's like i'm the new kid on the block with the perks and powers of a god. They have their own world, and in those early weeks in this new shift, my world remained firmly with yours.

It's because it ain't easy to erase three years of my life chasing the sunrise five days a week. To see the sun rise nowadays meant that I'm stretching my waking hours to the limit.

I remember what you said when you were assigned in this shift before. You said that work ain't that heavy - that you had more time to surf the internet and doodle with the pictures of Roy Banky and Daryl Hipon, which you love to mutilate whenever given the chance. I think you're wrong bro. The workload is extremely heavier here. But what's amazing is that I only work for 4 hours a day. It's not like in the morning where the messages arrive just when we're about to leave. Here, the incoming text messages comes to a complete stop after six. Since our account allows us to earn more than most operators could make in a month, I have to give way to those ops who are still trying to reach their message quotas for the day.

---

To be transferred in the pm shift is like a promotion for me.

Unlike in the morning where my self-imposed message quota remains at 100, here, so long as there is a pending work that reaches well over 50 messages, I am forced to extend my assistance to the team. In the end, I'd make around an extra 300 to 400 messages over the course of five hours.

Now you understand why the operators here earn more than what we get from our shift.

Aside from work, my life took a sudden turn as well.

Let's start from my work-out activities. Before, I go to the gym after work. My work-out then ends at around 4 pm, leaving me the rest of the afternoon and early evening to do my other activities. Nowadays, I still go to the gym after work. The only difference is that I arrive home after midnight. The good thing is that the change in work-out schedule actually works to my advantage. By being able to sleep longer in the morning, I get an added strength and energy to lift heavy weights that my program instructs me to follow.

Ayos diba? No wonder, our friend Doding Daga noticed that I'm getting leaner these days.

---

Since the shift ends at 10 pm, the doors in many party events that were denied to me in the last three years, were opened. Overnight, my social calendar became so busy, I almost forgot that I have an academic, relationship and family duties to uphold. If you would notice my entries lately, they are all about my partying activities and the people I meet in these events. The last time I was this active was four years ago. In fact, if I'd never put a restrain on myself, I could actually go on a night-out spree all-week long.

I'm sure, you're thinking that life here is fun...

In many levels it is.

However, there are many things that I still miss back when we're still in the same shift.

One is friendship. I miss the inuman we had as a team. In fact, I even feel nostalgic everytime I remember our toma session at MonsterRon's place. As I always tell you, the people here have their own circles, where I remain an outsider. Even your cutie hip-hop boy crush has his own circle of friends. This past week, I made friends with two lesbians, who flanked my workstation. But between the friendship I have with you and the ones I found here, nothing compares to the bond I have with you.

When the shift ends, my first question in mind is "saan ako pupunta." Every night, such question kills me brad. Alam mo yun, home is just a ride away, but I am tempted to waste my excess energies elsewhere. I feel so restless all the time that I even suspect it has something to do with Kitsune's sudden presence these days.

At home, much as I would love to devote those free time doing my school homework, the melancholic setting after midnight makes me senti all the time. Do you notice the posting time of my entries this month?

---

Miss Kitchie was asking me when I would return to the morning shift. I'm pretty sure that it's your question too. During my last conversation with the HR, we agreed that as long as my reliever status hasn't expired yet, I would remain in this shift indefinitely. The pregnant account-mate, who designates me as her reliever, hasn't given birth to her kid yet. I'm counting many months to go before her tummy finally burst.

I'm not sure how things would be when that time happens. My body clock is already adjusted to my new sleeping and waking habits. I'm expecting to earn more in this shift than I could ever have in your shift and lastly, the night-life which I begin to cherish lately, is getting harder and harder to take out from my system.

In just one month, I never got late even once. Such feat never happened in the long years I have served this company. I am sure even the boss is now aware of such miraculous changes in me.

And I fear that it would be hard for them to move me back from where I came from.

But you know what princess,

Despite making great strides and achievements here, I wouldn't mind coming back to the shift that I still consider my home. Even if I'd face the wrath of the team leaders once the tardiness habit returns again; and the ire of the big boss because he will catch me sleeping again every time he arrives at work,

I'd say I'm willing to take the risk...

In the name of our enduring alliance,

I will return because of you.

No comments: