Saturday, January 5, 2008

Job Application (First Part)

I saw it in her eyes: The everdistant gaze into nothingness; thoughts buried deep on a brochure provided by a company looking for fresh manpower; the interview coaching - the things that you say to the interviewer and the possible questions the interviewer may throw to you. For me, it was as if I saw myself three years ago when I was the one looking for a job. However this time, it was my sister and she had her first job interview after graduating from college.

Yesterday, she received a phone call from a company that I sent her resume to last year. This company is reputed to have a very good standing with its employees. In fact, if money was all that is important to me, I would have sent my resume to them in hopes of finding greener pastures in the business process outsourcing world. But such thing is not my cup of tea. Instead, I let my sister take my place in hopes that someday she would earn more than what I get from my small, campy workplace.

So we found ourselves at the heart of Eastwood City - the place where many many years ago was the spot where Roy and I had our little fantasies with girl dancers doing a Cayote Dance on the bar table of Sibil. While my sister took her "math" exams, I went to Agave Restaurant to meet XP and his fabulous American boyfriend who just arrived from the States. The meeting was fun. The boyfriend was cute and bubbly. I'm pretty sure that they're having some "fun time" as of this moment.

After I saw them, I returned to this call center to check on my sister. The exam had just ended and the first thing I heard from her was why she was asked to take a math test when the job she sought is with the HR Department. I told her that perhaps, the call center was looking for potential IT people from among its applicants. It happened to me when I applied at Accenture several years before.

The nerve-wrecking wait for the results to arrive took about several minutes. In between the waiting, I saw my sister talking to the other applicants who also took the exam. Remembering how it was during my days, the best part of the application process is when you meet your fellow applicants and learning their stories. In some cases the brief chat in the lounge while waiting for your name to be called by the interviewer would lead to friendships that would last the whole application process. Sometimes, the friendship gets an extension especially when you instantly decide to tag along to his/her other job hunting destinations because you find this applicant fun to be with. Unfortunately, when the last interview had took place, the friendship gets a sudden end. I guess it was meant to be that way. The friendships you made with someone is just a temporary comfort to the strangeness of being in place where nobody cares a shit about you.

Going back, the examiner returned with several white que cards in her hand. Of the three applicants who took the exam, only two made it. One of them was my sister, who the moment received the notice glowed like a sunflower. To find out that her first shot in job application was a success became a moral booster to her sensitive ego. However, it was just the first phase of the application process and pretty sure, the huddles will become more challenging as she climbs up the job application ladder.

For me, it was merely a beginners luck.

Nevertheless, I had high hopes she would make it.

---

-tobecontinued-

No comments: