Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year

And so began the first day of 2008.

And for the first time in my life, we celebrated it not as one big clan, but as a nuclear family... in our own home. The truth is, my approval was half-hearted being the most traditionalist among the younger generation. However, since my aunt, who organizes the annual family reunion spent the holidays in the United States to be with my mother's other siblings, my mom decided that its time for us to celebrate it ourselves.

She even was gracious enough to invite Phanks to join us.

It was a simple celebration. While waiting for the clock to strike twelve, Phanks and I watched The Devil Wears Prada on my newly brought China-made DVD Player. I bought it for P1,100 pesos in Raon so I'd expect it to last for only a year. Nevertheless, the pirates in Hidalgo assured me that it could play all the DVDs that I bought in their little corner of Quiapo. They were right, because the sole reason why I bought the Lexing DVD Player is to watch the three seasons of Battlestar Galactica, which caught my interest lately. It worked on the DVD player.

And so began the first hours of 2008.

We had a Cheese-overloaded Spaghetti, Fiesta Ham from Purefoods, Halayang Ube and Leche Flan on the dining table during the Media Noche. I didn't eat a lot because I felt upset knowing that our other relative decided to welcome the New Year in the house where we used to celebrate it yearly. My mom said earlier yesterday that they would be celebrating it at their in-laws place, which somehow made me feel relieved. I felt sad that we left them to celebrate it alone. Fortunately, my bachelor uncle decided to spent the New Year with us, so technically, we still celebrated it like we used to - except in my own home.

The X-Men trilogy was shown in Star Movies at around 2 am. Since Phanks and I were able to catch up the first part, we decided to stick up to the last trilogy which ended at around six hours later. We slept at 7 am but before doing so, I went outside to where our car was parked. We encouraged my uncle to sleep in the sala but instead decided to sleep inside the car.

And it made me felt uncomfortable knowing that we let him sleep outside the house.

So began 2008.

After pushing my finances to the extreme during the holidays, I now consider myself financially slumped. I still have to pay for the cable, my phone bill, my mother's memorial plan (which will cost me more than my month's salary) and dozens of credit card transactions, that will reflect on my bill this January. I have a report to present, a 4000-word essay and a novel to read for my Middle Eastern Literature, which will all crush me once school starts next week.

I haven't even finished studying for my report yet.

And with my computer still acting up terribly, my gym activities completely in a standstill after I stopped my last workout several days before Christmas and my body clock still adjusting to my new schedule,

I will have to defy gravity just to reclaim back my orbit.

So the New Year began and I welcomed it

with a broken ego,
a restless mind,
a lost soul
a confused mindset
and with a horny body.


Sadly, I don't see any signs of overturning myself yet. Nevertheless, life moves on in ways I am still capable to adapt.

Happy New Year.

No comments: