Saturday, January 5, 2008

Job Application (Second Part)

My sister made it on the first cut.

And she was asked to stay behind because the recruitment would conduct the second phase of the job application process which is the initial interview. The interview is where, in my job hunting days, the usual part where I get the "thank you" card. Written on the card were the words "you can apply again after six months in our company," which I take as a stab on my dignity knowing that I lost it bitterly in a job application process.

However, not all is lost in those countless job interviews I have done in order to get a job. After sending my application from company to company, week after week and getting turned down in the end soon taught me the ropes when being interviewed by a recruiter. The questions that were asked became a solid piece of memory that I kept in my mind so that whenever I would be invited to be interviewed again by another company, I know what to answer.

I would not stutter and I would not say "ahhhh" with a very long pause.

The top questions an interviewer may ask an applicant include:

Tell me something about yourself?
What do you know about our company?
Describe to me your working habits?
How do you see yourself in five years?
Why do you want to work with us when there are other good companies hiring out there?

Of course, there are the tricky questions, which only a creative and witty applicant may answer convincingly. HR wants to power trip sometimes and they love overconfident applicants to suffer. It's a proven fact. Yet for all intents and purposes, I gathered all the interview questions that were asked to me from the recesses of my mind in order to impart them to my sister who was getting nervous on her first job interview.

To boost up her morale, I told her that what companies are really looking for are people who not only have the talent, but also the heart to endure being a slave in a corporate environment. I emphasized the words "compassion" and "loyalty" since I know that she would be working in a service-oriented company. When it was her turn to be interviewed, I even reminded her to tell the interviewer that "she wants to grow with the company." This was the famous line that earned me the final interview spot at West Contact during the early days of my Call Center job application tour.

The job interview was over after 15 minutes. My sister's status: Passed. She was endorsed to a final interview which will be set at midnight the same day. For my folks back home, such interview being conducted at midnight was very unusual for them.

But for me who have been to such job interview before, I understand why it has to be done at midnight. Aside from examining if the applicant can fairly adjust to the night shift. It is also a way for them to know how serious the applicant is with the American-time job.

Knowing that my sister is applying for an outsourcing company, night, for many suddenly becomes her day.

Her night suddenly becomes everyone's day.

No comments: