Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kaladkarin

"Do you want me to drop you off somewhere?"

Tess suggested before she went inside the car to start the engine.

"You can drop me anywhere you want. I can get a ride anywhere. Where are you heading?"

I asked back while slipping inside the passenger seat of her car.

"In Makati, near Pasong Tamo."

Her twang was becoming more obvious, it felt like I'd be recoiling my tongue the whole trip.

"Cool. How about I accompany you there? We can continue our conversation while you're driving." I said smiling.

All for the love of God, all I ever wanted is a joyride.

The Book of Astrology tells that a Sagittarius loves to travel. You can bring him to places as long as his eyes will see something new. I for one believes in what was written in the book. Being an archer myself, I see every journey as an awakening and every destination merely opens a door to another journey.

The trees in Diliman were still singing hymns and praises after the Maroons defeated the Falcons in the UAAP match last week. Everyone was in high spirits, including J.Wendell Capili who even brought bags of Potato chips and bottled water in class just for the occasion. After the reports were done, class was dismissed early. I was in no mood to fly out of the campus with the sun still peeking behind the grayish-blue clouds. So I stayed behind to chill, and perhaps walk around the Sunken Garden which I haven't done ever since I enrolled in the university several years ago.

I was geared to having a solitary stroll, when suddenly, I bumped into a girl classmate who was about to leave the building. She was heading towards the parking lot across the street, but since her car's coding schedule falls on a Tuesday, she had to wait until 7 before she could leave the campus. With nothing else to do, I volunteered to keep her company. After all, it's always better to have someone to hang out with, rather than have a chilly evening all by your lonesome self.

We walked from CAL Building to Katipunan so I can buy a stick of cigarette. Our pace was as slow as a turtle and along the way, we talked about how her aunt died in a fire and the premonitions that happened before the accident. Since we talked about ghosts and other supernatural things, I confessed that my Third Eye seemed to be slightly opened these past few days. I've seen dark shadows disappearing behind thick walls and white silhouettes appearing in peripheral visions whenever I roam around our office building.

It was almost 7 when we returned to the parking lot. We could have parted ways, with me hailing a jeep that would drop me off in Philcoa. But since our conversation was becoming more interesting, (for it jumped from ghosts, to the Bangsamoro Issue, to the NPA's in the provinces and her boyfriend who is an officer in the army) I decided to stick with her as long as time would allow me. After all, rarely do I engage myself in conversations and rarely do I get to meet people who's interesting enough that they'd get me to open my mouth and talk for a change.

I grabbed her offer to drop me off elsewhere. To have a free ride in a brand new car and actually see different places is I think, one of the best things you can get for free. Apologies for my kababawan. The truth is I just miss wandering around the city without actually having to pay for a cab fare.

Going back to Tess, we talked about different things as she drove the car, that I never noticed how fast our journey was: In Katipunan Avenue, we talked about the merits of a country and why not all territories can be independent. She cited East Timor as an example and I had Montenegro as my specimen. Before we changed the subject, I mentioned Kosovo and its unfortunate fate of being suspended in mid-air while the world body debated on its existence as an independent state.

In Eastwood City, US Politics came up as a topic when she opened the subject of some Americans thinking too highly of their country. "The mid-westerners are so notorious about their patriotism, that they actually are xenophobic," she said.

"That is why there's no hope for the US when McCain gets voted to the office. But what can we do, the old guy is more American than Barack Obama?" I commented while looking at the skyscrapers across the street.

From there, the topic jumped to Philippine politics by talking about the recent survey where Joseph Estrada ranks second among the presidential candidates in the 2010 elections. I swear, for a minute or two, Tess fell silent as she drove the entire stretch of C-5 from Rosario to Shaw Boulevard. It was like she could not believe that the ex-president could get elected again. Sensing that the cold spell may last until we reached Makati, I changed the topic by going back to Obama and why I see Mar Roxas as the direct counterpart of the aspiring Democrat president in Philippine politics.

"Well, I can see in his eyes his idealism and vision that every other politician lacks these days."

"Agree. Well, I can live through Korina being the first lady."

"That's plain image building," I rebutted. "Would you really believe that a Mar and Korina wedding would ever be feasible in our lifetime?"

"Korina is a lesbo in disguise..."

I will stop there. The truth is, I had to reveal some open secrets that only PLUs know about our politicians. Even Senator Jamby Madrigal didn't escape my observations. Look at her as she speaks in front of the camera and you will notice how butchy she appears especially when the esteemed senator gets angry. Seriously, that lady has an attitude. She's a fighter. For that alone, I wish that she will get another term in office.

We arrived at the Global City where she drove around in circles until we found ourselves passing by the American Cemetery. For all the times I've been at the Fort, the only exit going back to Makati that I know of is Forbes Park. The wasteland beyond the cemeteries still belongs to the armed forces. To my surprise, there is actually a road that directly courses through the heart of the army base. If I am not mistaken, it's name is McKinley.

While Tess, at first glance is a fragile, mestiza plumpy lady. Her heart and soul belongs to the army. You can never blame her. Her boyfriend is actually a lieutenant in the Sandatahang Lakas ng Pilipinas. As we drove through Fort Bonifacio - the real fort that is, she was pointing left and right to show where the offices of the army are.

"To your right is the intelligence wing of the AFP, while across the street to your left is the main headquarters of the Marines."

"Those condominiums you see below were developed by Megaworld. Half of them are occupied by the bugo-bugo's (PMA Alumni) and it was said that the parking there is so scarce, the homeowners themselves point guns at one another when one steals a parking space from another. As in, kawawa talaga yung mga guards jan." She chuckled as she recalled the incident while driving in the middle of the road.

Suddenly, a motorcycle swerved in front of us. It's driver was not wearing any helmet at all.

"Asshole," she grudgingly blurted.

"What can we do, he's in the military." I was making assumptions from his haircut and angas alone.

Finally, we reached the end of Mckinley Road and found ourselves about to cross the overpass leading to the airport. Below the bridge was the South Expressway, which we always take whenever my family visits our relatives in Paranaque. In all the years I've passed underneath the bridge, I've wondered where do the road above lead to. Does it have a dead end or it goes around in circles until the entrance becomes the exit too?

I only found the answer this evening.

"Alam mo Tess, after 25 years, ngayon ko lang nalaman na tatagos pala ng Global City itong daang ito. Thank you for the road trip."

At that moment, I felt like a kid who had just discovered another geographical mystery that has been hounding me for years. Ever since I could remember, I'd pay close attention to the names of places I see in the maps of Metro Manila to the point that I'd never get lost wherever you throw me. Perhaps, just as Tess has her passion for the Armed Forces, my heart beats in every joy rides where I'd discover new roads and places that open my eyes to a much bigger world. For someone who rarely goes out of the city, this is the closest thing I've got to what others call a long-distance travel experience.

The road trip did not stop near the overpass. Instead of Tess turning right to Pasong Tamo, she drove all the way to NAIA Terminal 3 just for me to see the new airport. She also wanted me to see the Air and Space Museum of the Philippine Air Force, where our obsolete fighter jets are on exhibit. Sadly, I was so giddy the whole time that I forgot to take pictures before we headed back to Makati.

The road trip from Diliman to the NAIA terminal took around an hour. We passed through five cities driving through one main artery. I don't know how much liters of gas it cost her. I just hope that the conversation and the companionship was enough to pay for all her troubles of touring me around.

She dropped me across her apartment near Don Bosco. Her place was big, it seems she comes from a very wealthy family.

I could have hailed a cab going home so I wouldn't appear like a total freeloader. But it seems I haven't had my fill yet. I needed to walk.

So instead of riding a jeep that will cost me P8.50. I took a stroll from Arnaiz to Buendia where the road trip ends and my journey going home begins.

No comments: