Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Buff Daddy Interludes One

If the workout project can be measured by space travel, then the distance I have covered from the last time I wrote about my muscle pumping exploits to the time before I suffered some setbacks because of Throatie already spans a journey of a light year.

I remember writing before that I am prepared to spend another year at the gym for my chest to become firm and my tummy to become flat. Call it vanity, but in my way of thinking, I call it patience. It has become a virtue that I stick to nowadays. Meanwhile, the workout itself has become a way of life that I have already become a regular fixture in the gym. When not working out, I try to pass the philosophy to newcomers. Unfortunately, only few are willing to make the sacrifice. Most of the rookies would simply try their luck on any method that never demanded of pain. The results were superb at the beginning, but as they discover later, everything is just a yo-yo achievement. Upon reaching their basic goal (which mostly to expand the girth of their biceps), they begin to slack from their routine. Soon, their gains diminish and they are thrown back to where they all began.

As for my routine, the pay-offs were swift, and the sacrifices were rewarded handsomely. For every time I get pinned between the Olympic Bar and the Power Cage during the Bench Presses, the firmer my chest becomes. For every Iron Plate I add to the Squats, the lesser my abdominal fats show up when I walk naked around the house. Such were the rewards of working out without the aid of machine. However, there were downsides to the strides I made and it was already too late when I realized that I am making a huge mistake.

You see, I was gravely concerned by my increasingly steady weight gain. From 160 pounds, it climbed to 164 by early November. I thought I was slacking off with my diet so I tried to curb the gain by cutting off nutrients intake to a minimum. I would spend twelve hours starving myself only to binge when hunger dips my energy reserves. The extremes broke down my body. However what lead me back to Throatie was sleeplessness and my constant dependence on nicotine as a temporary relief from hunger.

---

And so I was disabled for more than a week.

And the gains I made suddenly vanished out of thin air. Meanwhile, the feeling of sloppiness has increased two-fold after my recovery that it lead to a state of imbalance. I felt bloated and fat and if not for the constant reminder that I had to take a rest lest Throatie might return, I would have returned to the gym the day I started showing up at work.

Despite these impressions of being sloppy, I was aware that I won't have to worry gaining weight for a long time. The fever resulted to a swift decrease in body mass, which will require some heavy food binging before my old weight is restored . It would surely take my head off from the thoughts of slacking, but this is not my main concern at the moment. Some pressing matters needed to be understood or I might be heading towards a disaster again.

The doctors strongly recommend that I refrain from any gym activities for at least another week to let my body recuperate. Same advice was given by close friends who bore witness to Throatie's rampage of my system the previous week. Mom was against the idea of working out at all. Instead, she suggested that I seek a dietitian's help before eating iron plates again. Blakedaddy, the gym instructor, told me to start my program on Friday. I nodded to his suggestion but I had something else in mind.

The strong protestations fell on deaf ears, for I was bent on restoring my routine. I was very afraid that in prolonging my rest days, I might end up stopping the program completely. Had I not been stirred early this morning, restlessness would not have gotten over me. Instead, I took advantage of the time believing that the gym is my personal crusade. So I took a bath shortly after I got out of bed, ate lunch early and headed to the gym without thinking twice of the consequences of my actions.

As a result, the workout had a very bad start.

I was barely able to complete the EDT (Escalating Density Training) program which consist of a 20-set, 3-repetition, 85-lbs Bench Press. The Squats strained my lower back for the first time. Perhaps, the 215-lbs barbel was too heavy for lifting. Despite having a full meal over lunch, I knew I won't be able to keep up with the program. I was so messed up that I had to improvise on the Dynamic Rows or I would fail completely. I decided to stop after completing my five-rep fourth set DR. There was no use forcing myself to finish the routine for it would only result to body fatigue.

---

There are times I would ask myself what purpose do I have in working out when my main goals have already been achieved. It is clear that I do not intend to whore myself around, especially now that the Pact is in place. As for health matters, it seems that my fitness activity is turning against me. Count the number of times I got sick because of the gym and you will find out that I'm better off staying sluggish at home.

As for using my muscular advantage as a leverage on romantic affairs, I doubt if it would work. Not only am I bent on closing my doors to all outsiders, what I am seeking now is the harmonics of the mind and not of the flesh. Having someone to speak about fitness would be a pleasant afterthought. However from now on, I would just secretly admire those who are superior to my physique. I would try not to openly complement someone because he has a body better than mine.

Despite these new trends and sudden shift of philosophies, the workout project will continue. The setbacks will only drive me closer to achieving my new goals and it would remind myself of the road that lies ahead. I still need to get buff, and I still have to acquire that six-packs now that it is within reach. At the gym, I am considered as one of the average lifters. There are others who can lift weights that are twice heavier than my capacity. I have to become them.

The failures of today will serve as a moral lessons of tomorrow. While the goals, no matter how complicated they have become will remain as they are. I cannot go back to where I was two years ago.

Obesity will never happen to me anymore.

Therefore, the gym lifestyle is here to stay. Not even a serious bout of illness will force me to turn my back to all the things I have gained.














Left Pic: The Buffdaddy from G4M
Right Pic:
The Nagfe-feeling Buffdaddy from Blogspot

No comments: