Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Lesson In Humility

It was past midnight.

Coming from a drinking spree in Timog, I asked my companions if they could drop me off along Quezon Avenue. I was low on funds and I decided to ride a jeep instead of taking a cab going home.

We reached the corner of Quezon and Panay Avenue a few minutes later. Sober and restless, I was debating with myself whether to go home or spend the rest of the night elsewhere. After all, I've already used my gimik pass tonight. Might as well extend my happy hours until the sun rises reluctantly behind the clouds a few hours from now.

A verdict has been made, and I was, swinging in favor towards going to Malate.

As I was about to cross the street, a lady in her mid-twenties approached me. She was dressed to party - stiletto shoes, mini skirt and a blouse that revealed her neckline. She was mumbling something but I didn't understand it at first, so I replied:

"Huh?"

My tone sounded like I'm uninterested. Nevertheless, the lady repeated her invitation.

"Gimik tayo." She said smiling.

Dumbfounded, I smiled back and ignored her offer. After all, who am I to entertain her suggestion when even call boys never dared to make such spiel in front of me. Obviously embarrassed, she immediately cut her invitation by saying "joke lang" as I crossed the street. The lady had become the latest casualty of my snootiness these days.

The incident would have never registered as one of the highlights of my day had it not been for a twitter update where I used the word "tangina" to describe my meeting. Looking back, I realize that it was uncalled for. No amount of excuse can justify the use of such expletive when in fact, she's just doing her job - as a sex worker.

It so happened that she might have sensed that I'm quite drunk, and horny, and she thought that a booty call was what I needed. Too bad, she asked the wrong person. Not only do my preference lean strongly towards men, I doubt if I'd take the offer even if it was a hunky, moreno guy who approached me.

A few minutes before I met the lady, I allowed my alter-egos to decide on how to conclude this evening. As usual, Darkstar was looking for action, Mugen was bored and restless, while Pulsar was tired and exhausted and wanted to go home. Darkstar and Mugen would have won the vote. However, the guilt for using an expletive to describe the lady struck so deep, I decided to go home instead.

I cannot cover-up for my emptiness by being arrogant to others.

The time was past 1 in the morning when I began writing this entry. Remembering the chick resembling Cynthia Patag who approached me along Quezon Avenue, had I saw her with eyes that exalts dignity while blurring the trappings of bigotry, our chance encounter would have been so ordinary,

it doesn't need to be written at all.

No comments: