Sunday, November 16, 2008

Combat Ready

The family doctor strongly recommends that I should take a complete bed rest today. She said that I might be suffering from severe exhaustion after hinting all the activities I had the previous week. Antibiotics is still out of the question, since the jitters and the fever only began yesterday. However, if the cold spell persists until tomorrow, there is a likely chance that a visit to the doctor would deem necessary.

She also asked to have my chest x-rayed. The culprit might turn out to be a respiratory ailment. With all the suggestions she mentioned, the only thing that comes to mind are the expenses. The medicines will upset my wallet and so is the doctor's fee. If only I could sleep this feeling of being unwell until Wednesday, waking up would never be of importance.

The gym activities will cease indefinitely. There is a possibility that my intense work-out last week worsened my condition. The price of impressing someone took its toll. Had I known I'd never be able to match his strength, I should have failed my program instead.

With my body and mind working at half its capacity, I showed up for work this afternoon. Filing an emergency sick leave is out of the question. With only two operators manning the accounts, absence would only create confusion.

The job performance itself is on the verge of a disaster. My response time is unbelievably slow, while incoherent words confuses my users. How can a mind work effectively when intermittent muscle pains and joint aches distract its focus? With a head swerving in different directions and a body feeling heavier than a whale, to lean one's back against an office chair while a blanket brought all the way from home wraps the body is the only solace I have.

It's half past six. Barely three hours more before the shift ends. I don't know if things would go smoothly until I leave the workplace. I don't care anymore. One thing is for sure. After taking this risk of going here despite my grave condition, even if the jitters don't return tonight,

I will take that badly needed rest the doctor had suggested and recover from this seemingly recurring sickness which have hounded me since gaining my freedom two months ago.

---

The cold spell returns.
I hope to skip the X-Ray part and just swallow whatever tablet I have to swallow.

No comments: