Friday, March 16, 2007

After XP

We left Malate at around midnight since he needs to report to work at 2 am. Still being bitin from my surprise night out, I asked him if I could hitch a ride going to Aurora since I'm itching to return to Palawan 2 again. Buti na lang eh ok lang sa kanya, so we continued our conversation, up until I got off the cab at Yale Street in Cubao.

Palawan 2 was extremely boring last night. There were few people; there were more drags dancing and kids were getting a little rowdy while dancing to the lousy hip-hop music being played by the DJ. The PLUs where nowhere to be found. Probably they went all to Government last night, since any G4M member could get in for free. Disoriented and tipsy from the Vodkas and beers that I've drunk, I immediately walked out of Palawan to ride a jeep in Aurora going to Tomas Morato, hoping to find a better place to hang-out within the area.

The strip from E. Rodriguez to Kamuning was dark and empty. There were several standbys who looked at me as I walked from Erod while texting my mother about the time I will go home. Seriously, I'm out of real places to hang out. It is already past 2 am and the chances of getting to a good rauchy dance club is becoming slimmer by the minute.

Then I remembered that my sister begged me to buy her a Vanilla Frap at Starbucks before I left home. At first, I was really hesitant to take her endless begging seriously since she'd satisfy her cravings at the expense of my mom's money. I just felt a tinge of unfairness there since I'm the one who's earning big, but still, I could not spend a hundred bucks for a frigging frappuchino.

Nevertheless, I went to Starbucks to buy her frap. It was pretty expensive, but thats the reward she gets for doing her school papers and staying at home (instead of going out with her Tibak friends and plotting their next move to attack Mendiola).

I left the coffee shop the moment the barrista called my name to get my order. The trip from Tomas Morato to Sampaloc was uneventful - except for the brief stopover at Kowloon House to grab some big Siopaos for pasalubong.

When I got back inside the cab, I told the driver, "pasalubong po para sa pamilya ko," to diffuse his curiosity as to why I'm carrying a lot of plastic bags in my hands. Probably he thought that I have a wife and kids from the looks on his face.

Looking at how the soloflight night-out turns out, I guess it wasn't as tragic as I initially feared. Truth is, if things really fucks-up last night, I wont think twice of getting a hook-up, if such opportunity would come. But I guess the guy up there has some other plans and he made sure I will stick on to it no matter what my body wants to have.

Shortly before arriving home, I had this quiet realization while inside the cab. For the past two weeks, I've been so consumed by my personal issues - with Phanks and P-man; with my sister and her underground group; and with my mom, and her plans of putting my sister to look after the Sikyu business, effectively getting the extra perks I receive from them, that I have completely forgotten the secret to a happy life.

I rarely go home bringing pasalubong to my family. But last night, for some reasons, the spirit of generosity simply took over me. In a brief but blissful moment before going to sleep, I saw how happy my mom and my sister were to my unexpected surprise.

Indeed in giving happiness to someone else, a part of their happiness reflects back to you.

No comments: