Friday, March 16, 2007

XP

nu ka ba! a diva sparkles, gagah! a diva glows! a diva is a diva, ke sad o hindi!
a diva is never a depressed butiki na naipit sa bisagra!
pasalamat ka ala ka hair ngaun kundi sabunutan pa kita. enuf with that kasentihan...
go out and party!

- Mami Athena, a comment on Lone Wolf Searching For His Pack

---

"Bud, I have two glasses of cocktail here," says XP, who went to the bar to get us something to drink. "They're both Vodka Sprite. This is for you, and the one in my hand is for you too, since I'm not drinking tonight."

"Cool, so now I'm not just a gate crasher but a freeloader too!" I told him as the neon green spotlight darts my body at the middle of BED's dance floor.

Last night, my plan was go to Government after they sent me a last-minute invitation through text for their monthly event for "kids." Since this is a free-entrance event, I wouldn't have any problems partying within my set budget. However, something came up last night that lead to a change of plans. XP, my best friend told me that he could not sleep so he would just attend a friend's party at BED instead.

---

I arrived considerably earlier than him. At the Orosa Courtyard, a handful of gay foreigners were dating their local boyfriends, outdoor style. Looking around, I saw a tall caucasian sitting on his little brown date's lap on one table, while posted in the wall high above BED's exterior were these huge pictures of the men who'd be competing for the Mr Gay Philippines Pageant this month.

These images made me cringe a little bit about the lifestyle I'm living. First, I think big old Caucasian foreigners dating exotic Filipino men are a little off-tune. It's like seeing a Redneck American walking at Robinson's Malate with his yaya-looking wife. You sometimes really wonder if such dates are serious, or it's just an excuse for the Pinoys to enjoy some perks, they would never taste on their own.

Second, I saw this news clip of Mr. Gay Philippines' candidates on TV Patrol last week. The candidates claim they represent gay masculinity. However, just one glance and you can smell from a far distance (pardon the word) how effeminate most of these guys are. Plus, their faces are everywhere. Di naman sila gwapo ah! I can vouch that I've seen better-looking PLUs. And mind you, these hunkies would rather be killed first before they join such kind of pageant.

---

XP arrived thirty minutes after I came. He's sporting a brown tight shirt and faded jeans exposing his fit body. It's not really the official Malate outfit - for every screaming gays that I saw were sporting this extra hair at their back. But last night, almost all the cute guys I've seen in BED were wearing XP's get-up. Is there a connection? I don't think so. But the sight of them at the bar was truly refreshing. Seeing these fair-looking buff guys allowed me to forget the personal shits I'm into lately.

BED was at its full capacity since the second floor is closed, Many friends and acquaintances of the celebrants came to celebrate their respective parties. Mcvie the blogger celebrated his birthday there. Being a close friend of XP, he was invited to Mcvie's party. Since I'm acquainted naman with the celebrant, I kinda joined him in his bash, even if I look like a lost gatecrasher.

"Alam mo bud, I think I'm gonna detach myself from groups muna?"

"Why naman?" he asked.

"Kasi I look at it this way. I'm a natural loner. Big groups turn me to a wallflower. Small, one-on-one meet-ups like this one makes me talk and bond with the person I'm seeing. So I guess this is better."

"Yeah, I agree with you. Mas ok nga yung ganito. No hassles." XP said looking amazed at the slideshow of g4m members on BED's huge viewscreen.

"So I think I'd limit my group presence this year. You know me, we could meet once in a while and still appear that we have just seen each other yesterday."

Our conversation about friendship was interrupted when he pointed this LJ (Live Journal) guy who writes his sexcapades in his journal. According to XP, this guy is a notorious social climber. Once, XP tried befriending him since his new circle will connect him to this guy's own circle of friends. Unfortunately, he was turned down for no reason at all. Now that XP's becoming the more popular guy, this LJ writer started writing about being a victim of a certain "conspiracy." within his LJ group.

"Bud kapal naman magkwento ng sexcapades niyan. Uhm dont you think he's quite old and too porky and nerdy-looking to brag about his bed kills?" I asked him while guzzling my san mig light, my eyes turning at every direction looking for cute yuppies around us.

"Exactly, besides, talagang blacklisted sakin yan for snubbing me during my most down moment. Badtrip talaga."

"The nerve dude, I think I'm gonna puke. Have you ever thought he's just making up his stories? Kung ganun, baka naman talagang hopeless case na siya."

"That's what the others say. Pero yaan mo na, what matters is that I'm happy with my life." XP told me.

No comments: