Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Beyond The Realms Of Malate: A Bar Tour (Part I)

When I was just a newbie (new bisexual) in this lifestyle, Malate is everything to me. It is where I met the first PLUs I'd probably hang-out for the rest of my life. It is also where I learned how to dance, and hook up with another guy. Every nook and cranny of that queerdom's paradise fills me with so many memories that I never wanted to venture out anymore - until last year, when I had to make a pilgrimage at Government after Club Bed, closed down in order to begin its ambitious makeover.

Last week, the eve of my day-off fell on a Thursday night. Since I haven't been out for a very long time, I decided to go on a bar tour while doing my review on the sidelines. Goverment was a tempting place to party, since I still have my VIP pass in that club. However, I realized that I've been doing the same routine over and over. The scene itself isn’t as exciting as it used to be when I first went there last year.

Looking back, almost all the gay hang-out places I’ve been to were the high-end ones - except for Mister Piggy’s which became a temporary refuge while living through the pains of a post break-up life after my first buddy left me on a Valentines Day. Perhaps it’s time to check out the bars and places which only exists in queer legends. After all, these gay scenes would never exist that long, if they don’t have loyal patrons who are ready and willing to spend their hard-earned money for a drink or two, and go back many weeks later with friends to celebrate the good and bad times in a gay mans colorful life.

These watering holes, which I heard from hearsays has been existing side by side with the mainstream club scenes of Government, Rainbow Project and BED. They may never acquire the same sway like those high-end bars offer to their clients, but as I found out after my brief tour of these little known watering holes beyond Malate, its patrons have a reason for returning and calling these places their home.

Click Map

Sandra's

Never to be mistaken as a bakery shop at the heart of Recto, this two-floor bar and restaurant could be considered the mother of all queer watering holes in Manila. Just a boulevard across Isetann Mall and steps away from Sogo Hotel, this place is regularly visited by closeted guys with their dates and old gay men looking for callboys that hang out in that part of Recto after the last classes in the university belt has been dismissed.

The entrance to the restaurant is located at the side of the bakery, where an old security guard looks after a computer school beside it. As you open the door, a food counter serving local dishes awaits you. The long pumpkin-orange plastic chairs and wooden laminated dining tables are located further inside, where countless light bulbs illuminating the room invokes a warm atmosphere perfect for groups who goes there to relax, have some beer and have good conversations with friends.

When I went there for my bar tour, I went directly upstairs where the atmosphere is more sensual and casual due to the fact that this is the bar area of Sandra’s. The place is much bigger than the dining area downstairs, and if not mistaken, it has many similarities with average beer houses, only that the patrons are not straight and the waitress would never have to worry of getting harassed by the clientele.

Seated on a table in my left side were two guys – one wearing a dirty red sando and basketball shorts and the other one wearing a tight fitted shirt and jeans. Judging from the way the rugged guy appears and acts in front of his date, an observer like me would assume that he is a callboy who was just fished out in one of the video arcade places of Isetann. In front of me was a slim guy wearing a white cap, patiently waiting for his turn to sing in the lone videoke machine that provides some form of entertainment to the handful of men drinking at the bar.

As I settled on my chair, a female waitress approached me to take my order. This middle-aged lady, who doesn’t even wear a uniform nor a name tag which is standard to all the bars I’ve been to was very helpful and friendly to me. She even left the menu on my table so that I could decide on what dish to order while waiting for my beer to arrive.

For a casual date, the dishes being served are affordable. The price ranges from P150 – P200 for every meal. Since they don’t have a list of house specialties, I just decided to pick several – which are mostly Rice Toppings such as Tapsilog, Adobo Rice and Lechon Kawali. They also serve Shrimp dishes and Sinigang na Baka. Since, my stomach is still full, I just decided to order two beers for P45 a bottle. Compared to the hefty P100 San Mig Light at BED on a Friday night, Sandra’s beers are a bargain.

It didn’t take me that long to have a trip in their bathroom, which turns out to be as atrocious as the ones you find in any third-class mall. The tiles are all yellowish brown, thanks to the fungi that thrives in those tiles and the toilet reeks a horrible stench of urine. A gay diva from Malate would absolutely do a walk out in such sight and smell as the one I experienced at Sandra’s.

Overall, the place, which still basks in its faded glory, still attracts loyal patrons who were already there when Sandra’s popularity was still unrivaled in the entire city. Since this bar is conveniently located in one of the well-known cruising lanes of Manila, the place could also be a recommended chill-out spot for guys who want to know one another first before addressing their carnal desires in one the seedy motels that littered the area. The patrons are mostly old and middle age men working average jobs such as clerks and laborers, who prefer the discreetness the bar offers.

The waitresses are warm and hospitable– a trademark from their seasoned experience of running the place for decades. The bar is unbelievably large and well-ventilated despite an appearance of being cramped and worn out when you look at it from the outside. I would have stayed longer, only because of the sight of masculine fit guys around me. However, since I prefer the high-energy environment my home hang out places offer, I decided to call it a night and leave an hour exactly after I arrived at Sandra’s.

---

- to be continued -

No comments: