Thursday, March 8, 2007

Beyond The Realms Of Malate: A Bar Tour (Last Part)

Sidenote: Check out the previous wikimapia image for more details. I'm gonna use this device the next time I go out again.

*

For the first time,
you've got me baby...
yeah eh... yeah eh.


- Maya, First Time (Offer Nissim Club Mix)

---

Two bars visited, yet a restless heart still feels incomplete. Perhaps, I’m so used to dancing at Government that I could not enjoy anymore the pleasures of having a quiet drink. My next and final destination is supposed to land me in Timog, where a new PLU dance club recently opened. According to sources, this PLU place boasts a dark room on its second floor. A dark room is an area where guys satisfy their horny instincts in a quick, no-frills style after finding their desired mate from the guys who cruises at the dance floor.

However, from what I’ve heard from subtle conversations in Palawan, there is another bigger Palawan, which is actually not a bar, but a huge dance club. According to these two chatty effeminates, the dance club rivals BED or Government in size and guests numbers. Their endless bragging stirred up my curiosity, so before I left, I asked the person in the ticket booth where I could find this other Palawan bar.

He told me to take a tricycle and tell the driver to bring me to “Palawan Dos.” The guy assured me that the driver knows where the place is. The problem however is that I don’t have any spare change for the short trip. Therefore, I decided to walk four streets to get there. The guy in the ticket booth told me the exact street anyway, so there's no problem - except that my immediate concern was how to walk along Aurora without getting mugged or further harassed by pimps desperately offering their girls for a short time fun.


Palawan 2 Disco Bar

Two words: Enormously huge.

This disco bar indeed, could rival my home turfs in size and visitors. It was a Friday morning when I went there, but surprisingly, all the tables on the ground floor were occupied.

In front of me was a huge stage, where a drag queen dances and lip syncs to a song performed by Madonna. Her skimpy costume dazzles me with colors and with her dance choreography, it shows how well rehearsed her performance was.

Since there was no available table at the ground floor, the waiter suggested that I should go up to the balcony instead. The view was better up there, but all the chairs were also occupied. Luckily, there was a spare chair near the corner where a group of kids were smoking cigarettes.

I approached the guy next to the vacant stool. He was tall, fair-looking and has a chinky eyes that smiled at me when I asked him if the chair was occupied. He told me it was available. Checking him out as he watched another drag performing a Mariah song, I mumbled, "God I think he's cute!"

The moment I settled down, the waiter behind me immediately gave the menu. Beers are a little more expensive here compared to Sandra’s, but still, it’s far cheaper than what I pay for in a high-end bar. They have a promotion that night, where a bottle of Colt Ice only cost P45 pesos, so I ordered one bottle and joined the crowd in watching the colorful sights and diva-ish appeal of the drag queens performing on stage.

Time flew so fast, I didn't realize that the first set was about to end. The time was past 1:00 am, and my phone kept on beeping since mother never stops asking me about the time I will go home. I could have left, but the party was just about to start. As the club music became more familiar to my ears, I can’t help myself but go on a full throttle especially when they played the track First Time by Maya.

On a typical high-energy dance party, my usual habit is to go at the center of the dance floor where the club sounds could easily drive me euphoric. However, in Palawan’s case, the dance floor is at the stage, which is very far from where I am seated. Besides, I could not leave the cute guy since he began responding to my discreet stares with a faint, embarrassed smile. I would have loved to strike up a conversation, but the kids around us were aggressively trying to catch his attention as well. Being the outsider guy, I let the other kids do their bidding.

Besides, I'm too chicken to call the first shots.

The party went on for another two hours. The Dj's line up of club sounds was pretty interesting, yet I've heard most of them at Club BED already a year ago. The speakers didn't impress me either. They were awfully big; they flanked the stage, but their audio output was boring. In every dance clubs that I visit, the first thing that I check out is how powerful their speaker's subwoofer is: Does it's bass audio cover the entire dance floor? Will it make your heart pound faster? At Palawan, the bass was almost non-existent. All I've heard is the loud music blaring from their speakers.

The drag queens performed again for their final set. There was this one act, where a performer was wearing a yaya's uniform while singing in a toy telephone, "Ang puk* ng dalaga." Her suggestive movements almost made me tumble on my chair. Plus, since the drag lip synced an artist that sounded like Pilita Corales, which was extremely unusual from their usual show, I consider her performance a stand out from the rest.

I left at past three in the morning satisfied with how my bar tour ended. I never expected that in expanding the places I could hang-out, I would stumble upon some interesting sights that I may never see in the clubs that I usually hang-out. In a week or two, I would return to Palawan 2 to show my friends how great the place is. In my opinion, I think their selling point is the drag performance. Their entrance fee of P50 pesos was a great bargain too. In fact, now that I think about it, I believe that I've got more fun from what I paid for.

---

Three bars, three different locations. The first one holds on to its faded glory, while the second one appears uncertain about its true identity. The third one was indeed a sensation, and perhaps, its the place those guys in G4M were raving about.

Myths tell me that there are other PLU hang-out places out there that are beginning to shine beyond the realms of Malate. If such legends are true, there is indeed more to this lifestyle that I never bothered to explore. I could have extended my experience by having some "little nasty fun" just steps away from Palawan 2. However, it was a great night and I don't plan to mess it up with such a tasteless ending.

Looking up above, the dark skies of Cubao seems blazing with fire - a temporary blaze set forth by a night of freedom I enjoyed. Still, the assortment of neon signs from the other bars along the street are lighted, temping me to check them out and see what secrets they are willing to reveal.

But alas! The sun is about to rise in a few hours and I am beginning to feel my body crumble from my journey. There's another time for a new adventure.

It's time to go home.

No comments: