Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bedridden

It has been four days since I was officially declared disabled due to an illness.

Who would have thought that the insignificant sneezing would lead to coughing. The violent coughing would end up in terrible muscle sores and high fever. The near-chills high fever would eventually develop into an unbearable throat infection that would require a strong dose of antibiotics just to put down the pesky virus.

Being bedridden is not easy. If I knew it would end up like this, I should not have pushed myself to the limits when I explored Global City last Tuesday.

So how does it feels like being disabled?

- Coughs are painful, not only does it hurt your swelling throat but every cough is like a fresh wound on your chest.

- You don't want to get touched; Every part of your body hurts.

- You get to sleep 16 hours a day, or until you get a headache for oversleeping.

- Waking moments are spent watching National Geographic or CNN. You cannot get up and rolling around the bed has become a stressful effort.

- In such rare occasion, you cannot drink cold water.

- Any kind of sweets is prohibited because of your sore throat.

- The only food your painful throat can swallow is a Banana.

- Your body feels unusually warm all the time yet you still get chills when you are out of the sheets.

- You crave for all the foods you will never eat when feeling well. However your taste buds will tell you that even if you get your cravings, you will never enjoy eating them.

These are some of the downsides of getting a flu virus. It does not include the delays in work activities or school requirements being put in the backseat. Since I have not taken a bath in two days, I also feel sticky and dirty all over.

On the other hand, because everyone thought that such a big boy like me will never get sick, the moment they knew a mere flu virus had brought me down, they would be extra concerned and attentive to my needs.

In fact, if not for this virus, the deep divisions between me and my sister would never get a resolution. For the first time after the Sanctuario incident.

We started talking.

Hopefully, this would eventually lead to more pleasantries that will improve our tarnished sibling relationship in the coming days.

No comments: