Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Sanctuario

I had a nasty fight with my sister yesterday.

As the story goes, she wanted us to watch the Simpsons movie. Being a very busy person, I could not find a schedule to accommodate her request. Since my work-out finished early, I told her to prepare in order to maximize the time while I'm on my way home. My mistake however was that I could not resist the call of Puregold Supermarket. Believing that we could still make it on time at Gateway, I decided to buy some stuffs before heading home.

I did not expect that since it was raining all day, the traffic along Shaw Boulevard would be terrible.

When I arrived home, my sister was already fuming at me for being late.

On our way to the LRT Station, she continued to nag at me. Tired and exhausted, I snapped back at her and a nasty argument ensued. She told me "kaya kong manood mag-isa, umalis ka sa harap ko," her statement became the last draw in our verbal tirades. I literally backed off and left her walking towards the station. I could not bear the fact that she is the one asking me favors and then a slight shortcomings on my part and there she goes rattling at me.

The nerve of her.

Anyway, the conflict left me extremely upset. I could have returned home to rest and forget everything, but my mind tells me to get out and recollect myself elsewhere. Therefore, I went to my room to get my readings, which I have been assigned to report on class next week and then I left.

The problem was, I don't know where to go. The only option I could think of is to run towards the nearest internet cafe to drift elsewhere. At least after the sex part, I could find a shelter in somebody else's place. However, the mere thought could not contain me. It simply contradicts the way I began to think lately.

I hailed an FX going to Megamall. Told myself "bahala na" as I paid the driver the fare. For some strange reasons, it stopped to refuel at the gas station near my office. As I waited for the engine to start, I thought of Mami Athena. Then I remembered that every time I am in a state of severe tension, I would run to her and then quietly smoke in the bathroom beside her table.

An idea came to me.

I got off the FX at the gas station. Then I boarded a tricycle that would take me to my office. It was raining when I arrived. When Mami saw me, she thought I just came from the gym.

I never told her what happened. Instead, I asked her for a stick of Phillip Morris and then quietly went to the small bathroom, which I dubbed the "Panic Room" for its importance on my well-being.

The boss arrived and caught me by surprise. Much as I would like to hide, he saw me smoking. Since it was strictly prohibited to smoke inside the premises, I thought I was a goner. Luckily, the boss didn't mind my presence since he was busy instructing the QA Department of some changes in the company. You see, we have a new account and its anticipated arrival kept everyone busy the whole day yesterday.

After I've done smoking, I went to the HR Room where the reception area and the pantry is located. I told the people there that I'd just like to make tambay, which they merely responded with a puzzled look. Settling at the pantry, I took my readings out of my bag and quietly studied there, until the boss noticed me and volunteered his private office at the other side of the floor.

I declined his offer out of embarrassment.

But you know what, I was very very flattered by his offer.

You see, I've been working for that call center for more than two years. In all those times, I have always thought that I am just a mere employee - someone who has proven his worth and loyalty to the company without asking for any additional perks, acknowledgment or even just a mere raise. Mami once told me that I am already an asset, but never in my wildest thoughts did I try to use it as my leverage.

For in truth, what only matters to me is that I am happy and secured where I am.

It was raining hard outside as darkness had began to settle in. The conflict between me and my sister intensified after she cussed me in her text message. The only contact I had at home was through my mom, who had managed to keep her cool despite the ongoing war between her two children. The stand-off could have lasted the whole night, but since everything was contained between me and my sister, I have resolved to stay until the rains have subsided.

Besides, Princess, who was transferred to the afternoon shift was there so I had to show up and keep him company - assuming he don't know anyone from that shift yet.

In between my readings for school, my constant wanderings on the floor observing the operators from the afternoon shift and later, my chat with friends in the outside world, my overall feelings toward the office begins to warm up and somehow, becomes homier than usual.

It has become a safe refuge in a time when I don't really have a place to run to.

The afternoon operators' shift had finally ended and the graveyards begin to take their respective places on the floor. I could have stayed on and slept over if things were too unbearable at home. The following morning, my colleagues would take their turns and find me, still there. They will surely wonder whether I left the office at all. Looking at the continuous cycle taking place at work, I could have made a temporary camp-out in the floor while looking for a new home to occupy - if and ever I'd be booted out of homeworld.

That's how firm my belief is, now that I see the office as my fall-back.

As I left the building, a new sense of awe and wonder has finally dawned to me: Perhaps, my two years of servitude has its own subtle rewards in the end. What I felt yesterday was nothing more than the usual. The office has not only become a place of work, a transfer point to the gym or school and back, an excuse whenever I am elsewhere late at night, and a place of friendship beyond my usual circle of PLUs.

Now, the office has already become my true second home;

A place I could always run to and hide when things elsewhere becomes hostile to me.

No comments: