Friday, August 24, 2007

Floor Filler (Just Thinking Out Aloud Sessions Six)

One of the things I really hate doing is delivering a report in front of the class.

I stutter most of the time, and to discourage myself from getting too conscious of myself, I have resolved to put some coins inside my shoes.

It works temporarily, but most of the time, my mind gets blank at the middle of an explanation. I have some problems too speaking in a foreign language so most of the time, I use Taglish to drive home my point.

Today, after preparing for my book report for two weeks, (it includes the very memorable trip back to Cloud 9) I will present the book in front of the class. Halfway towards completing the presentation materials, I sincerely hope that my presentation would be complemented well by my visual aids.

Good luck na lang sa akin.

Nevertheless, if teaching is part of my long-term vision someday; If I decide that UST or UP must really become part of my future, then I guess I have to get used to this.

How can I teach a rowdy class of forty, if I cannot deliver a presentation in a group of five professional students?

---

Epilogue:

I have done my report and I am not satisfied with my performance.

I have literally, read what I wrote on my guide. There was no explanation; i could only afford to mention the highlights of the story.

The entire class got bored, half of them almost fell asleep. I ate my words, I stuttered most of the time. Fortunately, the professor intently listened to what I was saying. She knows her subject very well you know, and I am fortunate that I chose her as my moderator. Literature has never been this fun before.

In the end, I realized that I am no good in public speaking. If I am a teacher, I would have driven half of the class to sleep. I know all it takes is practice. But when your performance is in question, how can you drive home your lecture, if you yourself do not know how to share your wisdom to others?



No comments: