Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fully Booked

I slept at around 3 am last night.

And then I woke up at 10 am this morning. Since it was my day-off, I took all the leisure to oversleep until I realized that I have a Ramayana to finish and that I have an English 101 training to attend at work.

After finishing a chapter of the Indian classic, I slept again, only to wake up an hour before the training. So I hurried dressing up, asked the driver to drive me to work before going to Malate to renew our AUV's LTO registration.

The first day of training was a mere introduction to the entire course. Since Mami Athena edits my essay before I submit it to class, she knows that the training will benefit me well. Though, I did get some dubious remarks after some colleagues found out that I will be having that kind of training, I generally saw the training as a way of self improvement. Who cares if they find it ironic that I study creative writing in graduate school, while still displaying obvious lapses in grammar? At least the university sees my creative potentials even if I have shortcomings in the technicals of the language.

We still have five days to go before we complete the training.

---

At school, the requirements get more demanding as the semester draws near. In my Asian Literature class alone, the novels that we have to read (so we could submit a reaction paper a week after the book was required for us to read) get longer and more difficult to understand. The readings does not include the term paper we have to submit at the end of the semester.

On J. Neil's class, we are required to submit an essay on Wednesday about a review of anything interesting - whether it be a restaurant, film or concert. Last semester, I wrote a review about some gay hang-out places outside Malate and Makati, which the class (especially him) did appreciate.

This semester he asked me to write a review about a particular video game. Since I have always been a Sims 2 fanatic, I told him that I would be writing a review about that video game. It turns out, I have to outbid a classmate who also likes to do a review of Sims 2. If not for my claims that "I collected all its expansion packs in its original disk," Neil will not give the green light to me.

On my way home, I realized that Sims 2 could be my hidden passion. Now, I'm thinking of twisting my piece to address a gay readership. Who knows, it might be the missing piece that could end up in a book someday.

---

As the month comes to an end. I feel the school demands eating up my time. The pressure is building up, for I discovered that if I could finish this semester without any back subjects, I am already halfway towards completing my master's degree. When September begins on Saturday, work in the office will increase ten-fold. There will be no napping for me in the next two weeks. Tardiness, in any forms (including the "i'm-not-feeling well-maam-may-i-request-for-a-half-day-instead) will not work anymore. Cigarette and internet surfing breaks when bored will come to a complete stop.

And the night-outs and meet-ups... will have to be shelved out again. When I look at the worst projections, I am afraid that my social life will come to a complete stop. There is simply too much to do and to many things to finish that when you sum up your objectives, you begin to ask yourself where to get the superhuman ability to manage one's own time.

Even a seven-hour sleep becomes a luxury already.


No comments: