Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sensitivity Training

"Sino yung mga oorder ng pagkain diyan kay [insert the name of karinderya here] punta na lang kayo sa pantry," announced by a colleague.

"Except daw si [insert the name of a collegue] na malaki pa ang utang."

His announcement to the entire floor made me stop from work.

Another colleague, who heard the announcer clarified what our colleague said. He was not joking.

To clarify the matters, I sent an IM to the announcer asking him if it was all just a stir. He said it wasn't.

Immediately I sent an IM to Deracinee to relay the breaking news. My mistake was I said it in a gossipy, somewhat malicious tone. At the back of my mind, the tsismis is all that matter - despite the obvious fact that the way the announcer relayed it is in a below-the-belt manner, which our colleague fortunately never heard.

To further get the details, I sent an IM to another colleague - a mother who is a close friend of the aggravated colleague to make an inquiry - and also to share my sentiments.

In between our conversation, I told her that what the announcer said - a big fat guy who has a bad reputation for being bossy and self-righteous all the time was wrong. He could have told it to the embarassed colleague in private, especially since it involved an utang, which he is notorious of.

After our conversation, I copied everything and sent it to Mami to give her more details about the developing situation. The other operators in the floor were already crying foul at what the announcer said.

Personally, I don't get along well with the beleaguered colleague. He is a screaming effem who do more socializing than producing an output during our shift. I also feel bad that I get to receive a memo from the team leader, while he continues to incur tardiness without getting even a warning from her. He also has a reputation for flirting (in a non-threatening manner) with the straight guys on the floor, I feel that these actions further cast a bad light on us non-straights who share a shift with him.

There are other personal things that I don't like about him, but when I felt that he was a victim of an injustice - brought by his situation and reputation at work, I felt compelled to stand by his side and call foul to the colleague who went to our floor to announce the delivery of food.

What he said was very unprofessional and insensitive. It only shows that despite his appearance of regality and dignified grandeur in the shift, there remains an unmistakable side of him that is open for criticism.

As for Deracinee, she also stood up for the beleaguered colleague of ours - despite her personal disappointments with the effem. She sent an MSN message assuring him that he shouldn't mind what our colleague said and volunteered to help him settle his dues. What a very nice woman, I tell you. No wonder, my extra reserves and my most valued plastics are always in her disposal.

As the dust settles and order restored in the floor (including the peace and make-up of the effem colleague and the taklesa announcer), this whole drama opened my eyes to the reality of how difficult it is to have a bad reputation at work - especially when it comes to money. It also shows that when sensibilities are offended, there are those who would stand up and insist on what is right and decorous.

I return to my work with a more open heart and a gentler soul than I used to keep before today's shift started. Mami Athena's shining example was not only moving, I consider it very inspiring. With this in mind, I rest everything behind and keep inside for the meantime, the grudges and biases I have for my effem colleague.

After all, everything that happened this morning is a good demonstration of what life is - beyond the confines and comforts of one's home space.

No comments: