Monday, September 3, 2007

Battle Of September

Gym session fell on a weekend. After spending over an hour doing progressive dead-lifts, edt military presses and assisted pull-ups, I returned to the locker room to change back to my rugged clothes. My cousin, who decided to stay and watch me in exchange for accompanying him at a guitar store somewhere in Ortigas waited at the lounge area. He kept himself busy by watching the movie Fast and Furious beamed from the overhead projector.

The lights inside the locker room were dimly lit. I faced the wall mirror to stretch and admire the cuts and rips that resulted from my workout. You see, muscles tend to get firmer and more defined after a heavy workout. This is actually the best time to show off one's improvement, even if the only witness to such a treat is the person in front of the mirror.

As I flexed my biceps, a sudden thought came to mind. Strangely, something inside me wants to convey a message to remind me of things that I have to do. Lately, my focus is scattered. I have been ignoring the things that I should be working on for this month. A voice suddenly booms amidst the silence of my thoughts.

"I thought you will focus on your book readings from now on?" says Darkstar who suddenly stared at me from the mirror. "There's no more time twerp! It's already the third day of the month and still you haven't put yourself together to address the challenges that lie ahead."

"But I've been busy eh. Can't you see that?" I replied.

"See what? As far as I know, you went to a party at BED last Thursday; went to the gym, then to your English 101 training and finally to your make-up class the following day; and yesterday you spent your whole free time at the..."

"The book fair yeah," I said, cutting him off. "But do you think I really enjoyed it? I swear, I'd rather get some sleep rather than be there man. I did it because..."

"... Of your sister. Fine I can understand that." Darkstar tones down his voice. "But you spent the evening blogging, chatting and finally having an eyeball somewhere in the neighborhood. Talk about priorities."

"Alright! I've been dilly-dollying these past few days," I admitted. "But I thought I could cram everything come monday."

"Well then I tell you now, you don't have much time." I saw his eyes looked blankly at the lockers behind me. Of my two alter egos, Darkstar has this habit of avoiding eye contact with the person he is speaking with.

"This is what I want you to do for us," he paused. "This will be our battle plan which I have thought of since you let me back when you wrote the 'Synthetic Sensuality' entry on your blog. Pulsar agrees to my plan so you don't have to worry about some possible repercussions."

This is interesting. Even though my alter egos only exist in the blog. I find it very fascinating that my two selves agrees to what I subconsciously wanted to achieve.

"You have three novels to read before the semester ends in one of your subjects. This does not include the 20-page term paper you have to submit to your professor, which will be your final requirement for her course.

For J.Neil's, you have four long essays to submit. Start working on your review essay today and tomorrow. Then, you can finish reading the Inheritance of Lost on Wednesday evening up to Sunday. I suggest you finish the book early so you can start reading the book that you will critique about for your term paper. As for your memoir, I think you can import an entry from here. I suggest the entry Trinoma so they would know how you suffer badly from a multiple personality syndrome hehe. Seriously, that entry tells how solitude can be a source of comfort when things are down around you."

"I agree with you. So how about the gym?" I urged Darkstar to expound his plans.

"Gym will continue. As much as possible, you must never miss a session for it will surely upset your routine. Make efforts to cut down on your food intake. You had two dinners today and it is a violation of our agreement."

"But I'm starving and the cook prepared Sinigang na Baboy just for me."

"You must manage your eating habits next time. You can never drink an ice tea again nor you can eat anything that is too sweet."

"But how can I address my hunger? I've heard that starving oneself is not good for the body," I asked Darkstar.

"I know that. That's why I emphasized that you should manage your eating habits. I think we cannot do anything about your rice consumption at dinnertime. That's where you get all the energy requirements of your body. Just make sure everything you take is well spaced-out."

"And what about Pulsar, what will be his role this month?"

"Stringent times need stringent measures. He will be there if you need to perform some feats of kindness and compassion. Your plan to visit the Theosophy Society headquarters will have to be delayed for a month. Besides, don't you like my presence? We can have some fun when you execute your plans well..."

"But I'm not feeling naughty," I complained.

"Oh but you will buddy. Not a month will pass and your so-call estrous cycle will kick-off again. Resistance is futile Joms. You have always been a sexual animal.

Anyway, time is running out and you have so much things to do. Stop looking at yourself in the mirror and instead continue working on your chest and torso. This time we will try to hit the moon. You have successfully managed to drop your weight below 175. Five more pounds to go and you're within the minimum aim we have set for this season.

I will make my presence felt if there are some adjustments. But right now, all has been set and its up to you to execute them. You should dress up. Your cousin is waiting outside. See you again Joms."

There and then, silence fills my thoughts again. These past few days, the pressure from all the things I have to do is building up. It does not include the overwhelming schedule that is beginning to burn me out. Darkstar's presence has given me courage to undertake what most people - particularly in my petiks-filled workplace extremely stressful. For the first time, I saw in a crystal clear perspective how my well-set executions would lead me to my goal. It's up to me if I would follow such set up religiously.

I could have stayed longer in the locker room if not for the basketball trainees who suddenly barged inside to change to their gym clothes. Their imposing presence intimidated me. I quietly dressed up, looked again at the mirror for one last time to pinch the bridge of my nose...

If things go well, this may become one of my rewards.

I left the locker room without getting noticed.

---

A day later. Joms is absent at work. Overfatigue has finally consumed him.

No comments: