Monday, September 10, 2007

Passage Of Wordlessness

As I stare blankly on my computer screen, I know something dreadful is about to happen. It has been an hour, but my head still feels empty. There is weariness in my body as I squash the last remaining creative juices inside my brain. I stave off the lingering feeling of nothingness by typing a few broken sentences on my Word Pad. However, as pure thoughts flow reluctantly converting itself to wordly expressions, the sudden thought of irreconcilable emptiness leaves me deleting the entire piece altogether. "I am not satisfied; no mood to write." I say to myself. "Perhaps I must look back at my previous writings in hopes of getting inspiration once again."

I might be entering a period of incurable wordlessness.

The reason why I blog so religiously despite nothing much to say is to avoid such period of wordlessness from happening. Clearly I am suffering from a writer's block and no matter what I do, the block tightly holds its grip on me. The symptoms are already present; I start to blabber incoherently when I put my ideas into the word pad, only to get disappointed to realize how unorganized the thoughts were. Thus, some nice entries that should have made it to the blog were deleted without mercy.

Words, which I could easily grasp and manipulate during bountiful days become hard to capture. It's like catching lovely butterflies made of smoke. Fortunately, there is the Merriam-Webster website to assist me; but proofreading, which I do after every paragraph becomes more difficult to complete.

Finally in times like this, I would usually resort to writing in Filipino so that my thoughts and ideas could be expressed in a different medium. Unfortunately, not even the use of Tagalog could save me from my block. The Pinoy words, which I feel quite inappropriate or formal for my taste remains at the back of my head. Therefore, any entries which I feel like writing could never be completed because my method of expression continues to betray me.

Strange enough, it seems like the spell of wordlessness is beginning to show signs of weakness. I might be able to finish this entry without it being deleted like the rest. Maybe I should blame my lack of sleep for the past several days for this sudden blankness that looms over me. It must have been the culprit as to why I cannot think very clearly lately.

With still a review essay pending for my Non-Fiction class on Wednesday, the pressure for my apparent Writer's Block is building up. If only my creativity is boundless; if only I have learned to embrace words and sentences early on in my life, maybe I would not be as concerned with my block as I am today. Perhaps, instead of worrying too much about it, I should devote my time sleeping.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow I could already write an entire piece even if P-Man's saturating hiphop songs blare on his mini speaker.

No comments: