Friday, October 12, 2007

Self Serving

Hi guys and girls of Journ 2002,

I want to suggest a project for our batch and to check whether you would want to participate.

I've discussed this with both [insert name of journsoc president here] and [insert name of journsoc secretary here] but more in detail with [insert name of journsoc president here] and they both like the idea.

What I'm suggesting is for us to organize a sort workshop/career day for future writers for AB students, most especially Journ students. We may also invite Lit students and 1st yr and 2nd year students para mas maraming attendees. My suggestion is to organize an event wherein we could talk to them about our career, about our work and achievements. It's to give them an idea or a glimpse of where they can be in a few years after graduation. So they will have an idea of what to expect and they would both the hardships and the rewards of a career as a journalist/writers. We can give them tips on how to get so and so job, what to do and what not to do.

So maybe we can begin with a few speakers from our batch and then proceed to a writing workshop. Plus dapat may exhibit tau of our works sa main lobby. Articles sa blackboard, ganun. Gandahan na lan un presentation.

I came up with this idea as one way to promote my book. Yeah, yeah, may book pa rin. hehe. Grabe sobrang nadelay diba.. But as of 2 nights ago, my publisher said that the printer advised the books would be off the press by October. Sana talaga matuloy na. If everything goes to plan, books will most prob be available by November, buy kayo ha! The Only Thing Between Us by [insert name of writer]. Ayan nabentahan pa tuloy kau! hee hee

Anyway, my original plan was I'd go solo but I figured I'm not the only person in our batch who has something to be proud of, in terms of writing career. I'm not the only one who has some things to impart. For sure mas marami pa nga kayo saken, lalo na sa experience. So I'm suggesting let's all do it. It'd be like a reunion. Sa exhibit, pede rin natin isama yun work ni Ace, to remember him, if you like this idea.

Sa event, we won't claim naman na we're so accomplished na. It's more of to really give them an idea kung ano-anong possibilities ang open sa kanila. May napunta sa news, sa sports, sa TV, may nag creative writing, etc.

Plus it'd be a perfect opportunity for all of us to promote din yun mga kanya kanya nating raket, whether it'd be your column, for me it's my book or mga businesses na meron kayo. For sure dun sa mga journ students, if talagang nagbabasa sila, I'm sure they've read some of you already and they'd be glad to meet you and to hear what you peeps have to tell them.

I'm including below yung email exchange namin ni [insert name of journsoc president here]. Basahin nyo na rin because [insert name of journsoc president here] mentioned a lot of really really good points. Read it from bottom - up.

Hope we all could throw in ideas about this and let me know who is willing to participate. If we're going to do this, gawin natin either December or January, kc I'm here in HK pa. Dating ako Dec 13 to Jan 6, pero pede pa ko paextend ifever masched ng after Jan 6, pero di ko na mababago yun Dec 13 na arrival date ko.

Tell me rin if u think it's a worthwhile cause or baka waste of time lang for us. I'd welcome all comments and suggestions.

Thanks peeps,


---

The nerve of you to suggest such idea when you never attended any of our activities.

I swear I would be your critic once your book comes out... I will exhaust all that I've learned in Literary Criticism just to point out the weakness of your novel or whatsoever.

And yeah, in memory of my friend and our classmate Ace, who quietly shared his knowledge and experience to those who wish to learn from him,

The one who went solo and then suddenly left us all when he's already at the pinnacle of his career and family life.

I will make sure that the entire PGC will never lend its support.

No comments: